Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Hello, Just got my first volvo...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello, Just got my first volvo...

Bought a '99 Volvo S80 T6 with all the bells and whistles yesterday, and I am loving it so far. I got a great deal on it, however partially because I had my mechanic check it out, and he told me everything is great, except I have a bad rear main seal and possibly need new oil pan. quoted me $900! apparently its nearly impossible to get to and its mostly labor. leaking a lot of oil. Pretty nervous about it. noticed in a thread this is quite common. getting it fixed Monday though. is there not just a sealant I can put in the engine or something?

is there a good site to get parts for my car? also, I have the navigation system that rises from the dash, but cant figure out how to use it. is that a service with a fee? I don't think its a touch screen but says press enter to continue...

I look forward to being a Volvo owner, and a member of this forum. Sounds like the administrators and some of the members really knows their stuff. I intend on modifying my T6, but used to be a Volkswagen owner/enthusiast so I have a lot to learn.

thanks for providing this resource,
Kevin

Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 AM

Welcome ...and way to go on the 99...i love to hear that..)This problem is quite the deal if you dont know your volvo stuff..This is high performance car and i would get this repair done instead of the sealant fix. Do your self the favor and the engine. I would get all the parts and rubbers FIRST then shop around .... and spend no more than 350$$ on labor(Myself I would get the parts first..350-4 hundred for labor is something you might be able to snagg..Its an all day repair..(re-post) I just called my personal shop he said "FOR U 5hundred". yes i was a little low! So there are some deals out there but choose wisely.
..p.s....enjoy your new girl friend she can cost a lot sometimes to go out dancing but worth every penny .
my t6 2000 is the joy of my life!

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 06-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:53 AM

awesome, thank you. they really are amazing vehicles. have you had any problems with yours? Is there a website you like to go to for parts? I am happy to put money into a car I love, i just don't have much of it. lol always intended on getting it professionally repaired, but wondered if something would tide me over till Monday. thanks for the welcome and advice toronto

Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 AM

Check my (ABSLIGHTS) Post. I would start at truly finding a shop before the internet in my opinion bud....Only go with OEM;if it were up to me. There are great web cites out there for volvo parts but there is a special volvo shop in Toronto that i use for every thing..I just never needed the internet ...but if any body else knows of good ones I'm sure they will post..

I will not recommend the oil thing.I would wait till Monday....I no your excited be patient yoov got her all to your self and shes not going any where..lol I remember those early days ....cheers....

Last edited by torontos80t62000; 06-22-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another good forum if you're thinking about performance modifications.

Volvo Repairs And Performance

Parts suppliers most of us use regularly.

https://www.ipdusa.com/customer_acco...rMessage=login

Volvo Parts - OEM & Genuine Replacement Parts Online Catalog | FCP Euro

I don't have that "has to be Dealer" mentality and I also try to source my parts locally from Oreilly, NAPA, Autozone as a lot have lifetime warranty and I haven't had any problems with my aftermarket parts (yet, knock, knock).
Having said that, there is some stuff you can only get from the dealer or OEM.

This link is if you're looking for the best price but they mostly do aftermarket parts from dirt cheap to brand name. If all you're looking for is dirt cheap they usually have the best price.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Most of us like to work on our own cars and if you have problems, concerns or questions most can be posted "here".
I moved your thread from "new member" to your cars sub section since you're asking questions about it.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Administrator

As for the sealant question. There are additives that might help with the RMS. They work to soften the rubber and can add some life to them but it's the oil pan leak. Depends on if it's the gasket, a crack ... you didn't say.

Any engine oil stop leak from a name brand would be worth a try if you weren't already planning on physically repairing it.
I like Lucas products as I've had good luck with them. Their fuel injector cleaner is the best IMHO.

If it's going in on Monday you won't really have enough time to know if an additive worked. I go for a repair over an additive any day but some times that additive can be helpful to buy you some time to get you're repair planned, parts ordered and enough want to, to actually tear into it

Attached Thumbnails Hello, Just got my first volvo...-engine-oil-stop-leak-lucas.jpg   Hello, Just got my first volvo...-engine-oil-stop-leak-bars-leak.jpg   Hello, Just got my first volvo...-engine-oil-stop-leak-rislone.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 06-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If the RMS is leaking, and it's leaking a lot, my guess is that it has been pushed out by something like to much motor internal pressure. If that's the case nothing will help short of dripping the tranny. I think $900 is pretty fair. Anything less than that and you're getting a special deal or the person doing it doesn't work out of a shop. If you find someone that doesn't work out of a shop, make sure they know what they are doing. If they don't, it's pretty easy to leave something undone which will give you problems.

Hope it all works out.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

$900 is very fair. If you find someone to do that for $350 in labor, run.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 PM

wow thanks for all the info guys! seems like a great community. getting a closer diagnosis tomorrow and hopefully repair. doing some mechanic shopping before I make a decision though. taking it easy until then. wish I had the knowledge and equipment to work on it myself. thanks again everyone!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Administrator

How did it go at the shop ???

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM

I actually went in the other day to have the repair done, and they checked it out before going ahead with the repair. it was a transmission shop, because the transmission needs to get pulled to access that seal, and they found out it was coming from the front, not the rear, so they couldn't work on it. pretty bummed to hear that. I was excited to get it fixed and now I don't even know what it is. going in tomorrow afternoon to my mechanic to have another analysis done. think since he gave me an incorrect analysis the first time they should do this one for free? anyone know if it could be serious or any ideas of what to look for? leaking from the front, runs great but every once in a while when I start it up exhaust smoke comes out... really nervous about it.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM

My nerves are settled! I had a closer analysis done, and I checked it out myself when the car was up, and its just valve covers. I got a new set. I thought it was going to be $1000 or more to fix several things, and its just old valve covers. $500. I got the guy I bought it from down $1000 because it needed repair, so I made out really well. car is running great and oil leak is gone. very relieved.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM

Way to go brother... you can now enjoy it...I got to 160km yesterday and she still had tourq ..obsession is a way of life...I'm so glad you got to the problem start learning every post every little bit of info like i did and you will save hundreds...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Are you trying to say 160 KPH and you still had power or torque ??