Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Help needed with alarm system, sets itself off

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help needed with alarm system, sets itself off

Hi everyone,

For the past 4 or 5 days, everytime I lock my s80 within a few minutes I come back out to find all the lights blinking and the alarm system going off.. There is no sound to accompany this however as my alarm siren has been slowly dying since I got the car a few years ago..

This of course is an annoyance not only because everytime I go into the car I have to see the alarm triggered message (meaning I have no idea if anyones been messing with my ride), but im worried that it could drain my battery while im gone...
Yes the alarm doesnt continue flashing, because sometimes I would get back to the car and everything appears normal except for the alarm light on the dash blinking in rapidfire (meaning alarm system triggered).. but the alarm itself has turned itself off by this point..

Anyway, added to this, I feel like either my alternator or battery is slowly dying because when im driving the car, say I put up the stereo system, or do anything which takes a lot of extra juice, i find my dash lights dimming just a little bit, same goes for cabin lights...
To make it even more annoying, I seem to be blowing one of my position lights every few weeks now (could just be bad luck but maybe its connected??)

So, is all this related to the alarm issues, and what is a possible fix for all of the above?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably need a new siren module. See: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=17479

Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I forgot about that link...

Do you think its worth twice the cost for a new module vs a used and working module?

About 160 vs 75 or so....

Im still wondering about the other issue I mentioned with the lights dimming etc.. could it be the alternator slowly dying? I hope not!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicolaselias
Thanks, I forgot about that link...

Do you think its worth twice the cost for a new module vs a used and working module?

About 160 vs 75 or so....
It is to me since I don't want to do the work twice. I've seen several people posting that are having them fail on their 2003s and 2004s now.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

my alarm does not make any noise and i have no isses, it locks and unlocks fine , doesnt go off on its own...

i had a problem with another car where the trunk latch has a wire ripped and the car thought the trunk was open and triggered the alarm almost all the time, that was annoying, inspect the trunk latch.

also alternator dying is a possibility but that would not affect the car when its turned off and the alarm is armed, dimming lights at load while running and an electrical issue where the car has not got enought current to power all the electrical systems....thats a sign of bad alty or battery 50% of the time i think... but thats just my personal experience,,,

drive until something happens that points you to the problem, as fas as the alarm, dont lock it, let someone steal it, and get insurance money...sorry have no clue , good luck

Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fix it

I had the same trouble and I fixed it for $3.00. Take the siren module out, use a razor knife and open up the module. Inside is a rechargable battery that you can replace. The battery leaked and ate part of the circuit borad so I had to add a piece of wire to replace the bad section. This repair was done a year ago. I got a battery on sale from BestBuy 3.6 volt 600MA. I used silcone to reseal the module.