Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Help! Ready to give up on daughter's S80

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Ready to give up on daughter's S80

I'm all out of ideas!
04 S80 2.5t AWD; Seized water pump, caused timing belt to jump off pump pulley before engine died. With borescope can see piston to valve contact, though minimal marks (I'm assuming I bent valves anyway). Installed new water pump/timing belt and tried cranking just to see if it would start. Cranked extremely slow, too slow to even come close to starting.
Pulled out camshafts and wanted to try again. Still cranks extremely slow (probably not even 100 rpm). Engine spins very freely/smoothly at crank pulley with ratchet and I replaced both the battery and starter with new. Starter still spins engine extremely slow with little load (i.e. camshafts and spark plugs not installed). No CEL codes.
Please help me if you have ideas....I'm wore out from this, and about ready to give up. It's not often I give up on vehicles (35 year helicopter mechanic, not easily over my head, with mechanics).
What am I missing???
I do appreciate any ideas.
Jeff
Tucson, AZ

Last edited by AirForceVet; 03-13-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

When you said you pulled out the cam shafts - did you mean you removed the timing belt or you literally removed the top half of the head assembly and pulled the cams out? If you are that far, you might as well do a compression test (pull all the plugs then test cylinders one by one) with the cams out all the cylinders will have their valves closed so with the plugs out you will vent the compression.

If the engine still spins slowly with plugs out/no compression, then the likely cause of the slow cranking is electrical. Most likely causes: partially drained battery, bad connections at battery terminals, bad connection at grounding wire, bad connection at starter, corroded cables, faulty starter.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep....pulled apart the upper half, thereby closing all the valves. Unfortunately starter won't spin the motor fast enough to get a good compression check. It seems electrical to me as well (see other post regarding starter).

Thank you for your suggestions, I do appreciate it and it helps to validate what I was thinking.
Jeff