Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Hesitation on my 2000 Volvo s80 T6

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on my 2000 Volvo s80 T6

I bought my 2000 Volvo S80 T6 with geartronic last year with 80K kilometers on it and I have since added close to 30K on it. I love the car to bits as it's very spacious and rides well. Of recent, the car has made several (and expensive) trips to the dealer. Changes included a new O2 sensor, front shock absorber mounts and, just last week, a brand-new ABS module - a very expensive part to replace, I must say.

My problem began when I got the car back after the dealer put in a new ABS module. I have noticed that the car has been somewhat "hesitating" when I'm running at highway speeds (here, it's 120 kph). The rpm seems to be going up and down by about 200 to 500 rpm and, thus, the speed is somewhat jerky. It also happens when I'm going at 80 kph, when I'm starting from a standstill or going up steep inclines (as I live in a hilly area). The accelerator pedal seems to pulsate everytime this happens. When I put the car in cruise control, the problem seems to go away. The car is still some 10K away before its next oil change, etc.

Can you advise what's with my S80. I'd like to be a bit more informed about my car before I go to the dealership as they always put a huge dent in my wallet.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Help!

Now I think the problem got worse. While travelling, the car suddenly shuddered and gone slower and then I got a message from the car's dash reading reduced engine performance and the yellow triangle with an exclamation point.

Help!

Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ETM most likely, never go to the dealer, you could have sent out your abs module for reprogramming by this one company for like 100 USD,

anyways there is a recall on the ETM but call your local volvo dealer with the vin number to find out if you apply, there is also a software download to try to correct the problem that the dealer does for free if the car applies for the recally, your dealer should have run the vin anytime you were in for service but they may have gotten complacent ...

anyways make friends with a private mechanic and you will save hundreds of dollars in repairs!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
ETM most likely, never go to the dealer, you could have sent out your abs module for reprogramming by this one company for like 100 USD,

anyways there is a recall on the ETM but call your local volvo dealer with the vin number to find out if you apply, there is also a software download to try to correct the problem that the dealer does for free if the car applies for the recally, your dealer should have run the vin anytime you were in for service but they may have gotten complacent ...

anyways make friends with a private mechanic and you will save hundreds of dollars in repairs!!!
andrei3333

Thank you very much for your advise. Brought my car to the dealer and to another independent mechanic. The Volvo dealer said nothing was wrong (!!!) with the car and that I should "observe" if it happens again.

The independent mechanic said that he can't find anything wrong with the car either as his scanner/computer-thing was reading nothing - he said that the dealer probably cleared the memory.

Anyhow, tried to trace this ETM, just under the intake manifold and found out that it's that Magnetti-Italian thing that other Volvo owners are saying is the root of (one of the many) the problem. Should I try to "clean" it myself/have someone clean it? Would you be able to send a link/advise a site where I can visit and check-out how this ETM cleaning is done? Would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

no its not dirty, its got a bad resistor ( if thats the actual cause of your problem)

cleaning it does nothing, it has to be replaced, but usually you have check engine lights on and you cant go over 60 or 80 km / h i think

i dont know, this site sucks for support, there is only a hand full of full time members on here , try :

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/
http://www.volvoforum.com/
http://www.swedespeed.com/index.html

maybe you'll get ore help there, sorry bro, i hate my car and wanna get rid of it, had it since lkast december and spent a bunch of money on it just like that!!!