Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

look at my boost please tech?

Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Default look at my boost please tech?

Tech remember i was having boost issues? I made a video of what my boost gage does durring various scenerios.. Maybe if you look at it you can tell me if its normal or not.. It seems to fluctuate alot. It runs good and accelerates good but the boost is not constant and durring acceleration i can feel the inconsistancy. here a link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-quREGSfwP8

Thanks

Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Default RE: look at my boost please tech?

wow.. same boost gauge that i have in my car.. lol... i honestly didnt see anything wrong with your boost.. for a stock car that was correct... now the differences i did notice was the fluctuation around 10 psi and then the peak at 16.. all could be linked with the same problem. id start by installing a new boost controller. its a small solenoid that youll find on the air box. if you follow the small vacuum line from the twin charger pipes on the very center of the engine it will take you right to it. a new boost controller from volvo is not more than 60 bucks. but the fluctuation in boost could be to a malfunction in that solenoid, as well as the peak to 16, which a stock t6 should not get. it could be weak and allow boost pressure to get to the waste gates, which would cause the fluctuation as well as it could stick at times and cause the spike at 16 psi. try a new one and retest. they are a high failure item so thats where id start. also how sure are you that the previous owner did not try and adjust the wastegate actuating rods? when the ecu sees too much boost then it will cut it by changing the air fuel ratio and timing and will lower boost. a lot of people tried to shorten the rods so they had longer travel when commanded on so it took longer to dump boost, hence higher boost levels are acheived, until the comp steps in and controls all...and makes boost pressures drop and be all erratic.. so.. new boost controller first and then see whats up.. and kudos on the video.. that was really cool.. lemme know how you edited all that and inserted words..

Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 AM

cool thanks.. last time it was in the shop i had them change that thing..... however my wording may not have been correct and they may have changed something else.. im guessing you are talking about the little black thing with like 3 vacuume line going to it and it hooks to the airbox? with like a clip right? Im pretty sure the previous owners didnt tamper with the rods. They look normal and it was a company vehicle although i suppose its possible.. Now is the spike to 16 bad because its too high? the weird part for me is how durring a straight acceleration(like 3000 through 4000 rpm with no shift) the boost pressure goes up and down almost like its dumping too much then not enough and back and forth. i dont know if thats normal or not this is my first turbo car. also when its fluctuating UP i can feel it accelerating like a **** and as i watch the needle drop i can feel it not accelerating as good.. It goes pretty quick up to like 70 but once it hits 70 it realy picks up fast and you can hear it is spooling as well as what the guage picking up pressure. I remember driving a 2001 s80 t6 before i got this one and it seemed to have much better acceleration. the 2001 felt like i was in a frod lightning... mine is fast just not as fast as i remeber that one being.. like sometimes when you floor it depending on the speed and gear you are at it takes a while to even accelerate at all.

As far as the video goes i just recorded it with my regular digital camera and then converted the files to .avi files with plato video converter (best program i have found for converting but you have to pay for the download) anywas once the video or video clips are converted just import them into windows movie maker (witch you have already if you have windows XP or vista) Drag and drop the clips in whatever order you want them in and for putting tittles over the video just view the video within the movie maker and pause where you want the tittle to be and then click add tittle on the selected clip under the tittles and credits option.. you can do other stuff too like add music and effects. then publish the movie to your desktop using the default settings. the whole process can be dun in about 15 minutes for a short video once ya get the hang of it.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM

cool.. ill run my chipped t6 here in a little while and try to get a good video. its still not right but will do about 16 psi of boost.. should be more like 18.. but i did some exhaust mods that may be causing the comp issues of lowering the boost.. so we will see..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Looks like the comoputer is doing alot of controlling of the boost.
Was that the car you put the controller on?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 PM

umm i dont remember a controler.. The only things boost related i have changed were the reliefe valve (plastic thing right behind the fan and the boost selonoid thing with the 3 vacuume line going into it.. (clips to the airbox.._) i dont think there was anything else. I moved the waste gate actuators by hand and they seem move and then spring back (im guessing thats the way they work) the rads are a little rusty but they dont seem to be binding or anything. So by the feedback im getting i should assume something is out of wack?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:54 AM

what you should be able to do with the actuators is (1) loosen the nut after you remove the tiny clip. (2) slide the rod off the connection. it should not be adjusted very tightly. this give proof of someone tampering with the length of the rod. a couple of turns could make a huge difference with the boost and how your car reacts to it. you want to have it where you can slip the rod on. then tighten it just 1 to 2 turns. you want it to hold the wastegate shut. then pull it firmly and reattach it. and test drive. people adjust this rod and youll notice boost peaking and then the ecu dumps fuel and retards the timing to avoid damage. people will shorten it so when the rod is actuated it has to travel farther... farther travel time give the turbos tiny seconds to spool more boost but it is noticable and your ecu will step in. by doing this check at least you will know if theres been any tampering

Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

You will always get some spike when the car shifts the computer controls it. My 850 does the same thing.
But I haven't installed any guages on the S80 and tested to see exact numbers.
I have only once installed a guage for testing and found both turbo's locked up.