Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Low oil pressure message

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure message

Hi there,
I recently purchased 2000 S80 T6. There was a warning message "Low oil pressure, stop engine immediatelly" coming up when engine would run at idling speed. I took it to local dealership for general checkup and they told me that turbo gasket seal needs to be replaced as well as PCV valve housing as there was a lot of sludge and oil was leaking a lot, therefore I had that light. I went to my mechanic and told him what to do, as we all know how expensive is to do any kind of maintenance with them. After replacing the turbo seal and pcv housing, i still got the same message. My next guess is that maybe idling speed is lower than what is suppose to be (the message comes on exactly @ 700 rpm, i wonder what is the proper idling RPM?).
and my last question is - how difficult is to change the headlamp bulb?

Thx,

Majki

Old 01-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Low oil pressure message

The headlight bulb is easy to change.You remove the cover to access the headlight bulb.Then you release the metal clip holding the bulb in and remove the bulb and replace.

As far as the oil pressure light I would say that the oil pan o-rings are bad.You need to have them check the oil pressure with a manual guage. 700 RPM is pretty much the normal idle RPM.Lately the oil pan o-rings are breaking and causing low oil pressure.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, you were right, it was really easy to change the bulb. I was late to purchase the bulb at the dealership, which sells it $20 Canadian, but Canadian Tire (general merchandise/automotive store) sells them even cheaper, $16 each (manufactured by General Electrics).
I spoke to my mechanic again and he claims that he changed oil rings when he changed the oil (at the same time he did turbo seal and PCV valve box). For some reason (i am not sure why) he wants me to go to Volvo dealership and wants them to check the oil pressure, just to make sure everythings fine...Is manual oil gauge something that every mechanic should be able to have? What is the reason he wants me to go to the dealership?
Thanks again for your help,
Majki

Old 01-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Let ma ask you this did he remove the oil pan from the car?If he didn't then the oil pan o-rings were never changed.Most mechanic's should have a universial oil pressure guage.He may not want to do the job.It is a pretty detailed job to do.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 PM

My mechanic said he replaced o-rings with oil change... also, my oil is dirty again, just after 1000 km of last oil change (when pcv-box and turbo seal where replaced). What could be the reasons for that? Except the dirt in PCV box, what are other areas of engine can cause my oil getting dirty that quick? I haven't checked spark plugs since I bought a car 2 months ago...
And last question, how difficult is to change oil/oil filter and spark plugs on this car?

Thanks a lot,

Majki

Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

It is not that hard but you will have to buy a special tool to remove the oil filter housing.If they replaced the o-rings then they had the oil pan off?The oil will get dirty quick after the car has milage on it.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:07 AM

me too, majki! i am searching trying to find some magic cure that will save me the $1500 my local guy needs to charge me to fix my sludge problem. and my situation is very similar to yours. same message, except my guy knew what it was right away. was hoping it was 2 other things, but turn out to be major sludge. did you ever get yours resolved? seems like this is a pretty common problem! good luck with it!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:26 AM

My problem hasn't been resolved yet But, I noticed that if RPM goes just around 750, then the messages goes away, and when it drops back to 700 then it comes on . In regards to oil - I'll probably try to flush the engine couple of times on next oil changes - my mechanic said that my car took major abuse from previous owner (i bought it as repo'd). I took car again last week as I noticed a pudle in a garage, and the guy told me there's a slight leak on the back seal now!!??!! Damn?!?
Otherwise, car runs nice, I like it...

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

i just bought a 04 xc90 t6 with 100k on it and the first of this week the low oil pressure light came on the owner before told me it is caused by engine slug. in my research i found that the oil pan o ring it bad and the oil pick up line could use a clean up too. what gaskets do i need and how hard is it im am very mechanically inclined i just need a push in the right direction

Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

try the xc90 forums, im not sure the s80 engine of the past is the same