Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Making my own "CAI"

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my own "CAI"

I've been wanting to make a heat shield for my K/N as the current "hot air Intake" wasn't working well.

Problem is, I sold my MIG welder.

This heat shield Is very crude, and done as more of a because I can type of project.

I built it with 2 pieces of 26 gauge steel for the sides and one piece of 22 gauge steel for the bottom. I ran out of sunlight and metal to make the rest of it.

I used very short self tapping screws, a pair of tin snips, and a hammer. That's it. I bought some fire proof roof/chimney caulk but after everything Is screwed down I don't think I need it.

I have to finish the last piece that goes on the fender side and get some weather stripping of some sort to seal against the hood.

What do you think?
Oh the filter Is a 4" K&N from advance auto.

Attached Thumbnails Making my own "CAI"-imag0125-custom-.jpg   Making my own "CAI"-imag0126-custom-.jpg   Making my own "CAI"-imag0129-custom-.jpg   Making my own "CAI"-imag0128-custom-.jpg  

Last edited by poor_red_neck; 01-14-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool.

would be better if you did have the welder though.

Just box the filter inside it with a removable top, and a cut out in the front for air to get in from bumper.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

feeling any performance improvement? I was considering doing one of these over the summer but then decided that the heat soak would probably cause me to lose power rather than gain

Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I had a 3" cone filter (some no name brand oiled filter from advance auto) and that made a bit of a difference, in the top end mainly but not much (butt dyno estimates 4-5HP). Sounds pretty sweet though.

Then I put the K&N 4" and I definitely can feel a difference. More power above 4500. I'm assuming thats when the adjustable intake timing comes into play. The box seems to have helped. After finishing the sides I shimmed it on the bottom so that it basically is mashed against the felt on the hood. Its tight enough that it leaves an imprint. I'm going to put foam on it to seal a bit better like some of the K&N kits you can buy. It was a bit warmer here yesterday and today, getting upto 64 degrees or so. I ran the car hard, and after the previous cone filter would be sucking in really hot air from the radiator and what not, and drop off in power (enough that I can feel the loss of power) with the box and the same "scenario" it didn't seem to loose as much power. I really hope this isn't a placebo effect, as I swear to ya I can feel the difference

I made a lid for it, but it muffled the intake quite a bit. I personally like the intake "bark" if you will. The box seals against the hood pretty well so I think the effect should be the same.

The inside was painted with about 5 layers of ceramic header paint, baked. Insulates decently for something from a rattle can.
Im thinking of using something like what a water heater blanket is made from, aluminum with insulation, to insluate the box... but that may just be too damn ghetto and not worth a damn. When it gets hot I'll try it out. Its worth it to me to try, heh (my name says it all )

Here's the semi-finished project.

I need to work with the plastic pipe a bit as the filter is too far on the right side. Going to try and center it a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Making my own "CAI"-imag0132.jpg   Making my own "CAI"-imag0133.jpg   Making my own "CAI"-imag0135.jpg  

Last edited by poor_red_neck; 01-17-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks a lot better painted. Nice work.

the screws are the only thing that I would change.
when you getting a welder back?