Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Money Wasted and still a Mystery, Gas problem? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money Wasted and still a Mystery, Gas problem? HELP!

I have a '99 Volvo S80 and I have a major issue that can't seem tone resolved. I have spent $600 at numerous mechanics trying to 'fix' the issue but the problems keep coming back... My car STINKS of gas. I mean, it's almost unbearable sometimes, and the colder the weather the more it smells. Also, sometimes my car is harder to start, it almost sounds like it skips or is about to stall, could it be the fuel injectors that are causing this? I have had the tank tested for a leak, a psi test on the fuel line, I've had the gauges replaced, all the seals on the gas line replaced, I've had the gas cap replaced.... I'm running out of ideas AND money. Does ANYONE know what the problem could be? Not even mechanics can seem to find the issue.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Sawwatha and welcome to the site.

Who has looked at the car? A Volvo dealer? What have they done in terms of what was charged on your receipts? What motor is in the car? Is it turbo? I'm not sure.

I know a little about the 960, which I believe has a simular motor. There are issues with fuel leaks at the ends of the fuel rail. Also, sometimes the intake manifold seals leak, I believe they have some rubber hoses there. Another common leak is from loose or broken vacuum lines, specifically the elbows.

I would start at the end of the fuel rail.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have a "smoke test" done on the E.V.A.P. system. A large leak will cause fume leakage inder the car and into the cabin.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EVAP's large leak would surely trigger a DTC. I doubt mechanics would have missed that. Stalling, skipping, etc (including strong odor) are also symptoms of a bad fuel pump. Fuel pumps, at early stages of failures, have intermittent pressure drops, which can't be detected with a simple PSI test.

Does your mechanic know what the correct pressure is at idle, or 2800 rpm for (what I suspect it is) Volvo/Bosch returnless system?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 AM

I haven't had it looked at by a dealer... Just local mechanics that are somewhat family friends. I have had psi tests down, the tank shipped off for pressure tests to check for leaks, pretty much the entire fuel line has been checked and tested. I recently moved to Massachusetts so I'm at a loss of where to bring it to or what to even ask to have done... Like I said I'm running out of money! I'm also a female and we all know how that works out when you need something mechanically done, you get ripped off.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Women always get a better deal in my book. They put on a little make-up, smile, whine a little and ask if they should junk the car. Don't be afraid to ask few people that have those older Volvo's. They know where to get them fixed.

Like I said, I had a small vacuum elbow leaking. It had a hole in it about the size of a pencil eraser.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Women always get a better deal in my book. They put on a little make-up, smile, whine a little and ask if they should junk the car. Don't be afraid to ask few people that have those older Volvo's. They know where to get them fixed.

Like I said, I had a small vacuum elbow leaking. It had a hole in it about the size of a pencil eraser.

----Valid Point, I've had it go both ways. I'll definitely have someone check the vacuum elbow. Do you remember the cost?

Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Turned out to be a crack in the fuel pump reserve. Such a small crack, the size of a sprinkle!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sawwantha
Turned out to be a crack in the fuel pump reserve. Such a small crack, the size of a sprinkle!
FWIW thats actually a pretty large crack.