Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

My new S80 (more problems)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new S80 (more problems)

Well just picked up my S80 yesterday after work. I was on my way to work this morning, and all of a sudden my oil light came on, then a message saying "NO OIL PRESSURE - PULL OVER SAFELY ASAP" i turned the car off and put it in "N" and rolled as far as I could, started it up, sped up a little (very slowly) and did the same thing, then when I turned it on the 3rd time the oil light wasn't on anymore, so i didn't turn it off right away, about 3 blocks down it came back on again, I managed to roll the car home into my driveway. It makes a whining noise when the oil light comes on. Please tell me this car isnt shot already [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 02-21-2008, 05:25 AM
Default RE: My new S80 (more problems)

Just jacked the car up (damn 4am and already working on this damn car) and it looks what I believe to be transmission fluid draining all over the place (its on the drivers side of the engine, can't really tell if its coming from the gasket or leaking down and dripping from the gasket.

Isn't there a law that you can return a car within the first 24hrs for something like this?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:39 AM

After letting it sit for a good while, I took it arond the block again. The oil light didn't come on this time, but its hard shifting BAD, and the trans is slipping. Could have the oil light been for the transmission? Or is my engine AND my trans bad?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laws on returning car differ by state. Check with the DMV or your state Attorney Generals office regarding this. I would have the car towed to the dealer where it was purchased. Don't clean anything off so that they can see where the leak was coming from and what fluid it is. I wouldn't think that the oil pressure warning would come on if it was transmission fluid. What color was the fluid? Did they do an oil change before youpurchased the vehicle? From the hard shifting I would say that it was transmission fluid. Check the level of both the T fluid and the oil and note in writing what the levels are, so you can give that information to the dealer. If you don't try to drive it anymore you may be OK. If you have run the transmission without any fluid you may have damaged it beyond repair. If the dealer can't assure you that everything is still OK then if your state laws allow, I would probably return it and get my money back.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 AM

I bought it at a small used car lot (first mistake) and i'm not sure if an oil change was done before i bought it (I planned on doing one this weekend). The fluid is redish, and coming from the drivers side of the engine area. Oil is just in the 'ok' zone on the dipstick. Transmission fluid isnt going down on the dipstick though for some reason even though i have a huge puddle in my garage going down the driveway and its still dripping out.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

the small used car lot should take responsibility for you shouldnt it? I had the oil light scenario as you did but mine shut off completely after the third time I restarted it. Turned out there it was sludge.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Dealer had the car towed to a transmission shop today. They are saying its my fault because I drove it with a disconnected CV axle. Though, since I bought the car (last night) I put a total of about 35 miles on it. They said the transmission needs to be re-built now, (though I still dont know what the deal is with the oil light, after I posted I went and started the car in my driveway (didn't drive it) and the oil light never came on, maybe it was the same deal you had. The dealer is trying to say I have to pay for the repairs, so I am going to the Army legal office tomorrow to try and get this straightened out, I hope I don't get screwed.

How much would a 2000 S80 T6 w/ 85k, & brand-new rebuilt trans go for? I might have to sell it if I have to pay to have the trans rebuilt i'm gonna be hella broke .

Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would make them pay it was something they did to make the axle not be seated all the way.
They won't just pop out by itself.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah, I want to make them pay, just don't know how much power I have. Unfortunately the TX lemon law only applies to cars under warranty... Lame.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it is but argue the point that the axle won't come out by itself.
I would also try to get that opinion from A Volvo dealer as well.

I have been working on these cars for around 10 give or take a few years and never seen an axle pop out of the tranny all by itself.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: tenchu

Yeah, I want to make them pay, just don't know how much power I have. Unfortunately the TX lemon law only applies to cars under warranty... Lame.
Same for Ohio. I bought my '99 from a small lot that had just taken it in the day before on trade for a 2007 Sebring (Lame IMHO). The guy new nothing about it, told me it was a 4 cylinder threw me the keys and I threw him $2400 AS-IS NO WARRANTY. So far I have been oaky. I am sorry to hear about your misfortune but I would take Tech & JKS2's advice and at least go down swingin. Don't let them try to push you over! Obviously from what you described it was bad from the get-go.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:07 PM

Heh, I thought everything was good when I bought the car. It had a few minor (imo) problems I could live with (pw. locks and srs service). But I wouldn't have bought it had I seen a tranmission rebuild this near in the future. I thought I was getting a good deal. $5000 all said and done, TTL etc. All the others I saw on ebay/autotrader etc were going for like 6.5-10.5k, and blue book was in the 5 digits if I remember correctly. If I do get this straigtened out, i'm not sure i'm going to keep the car, as much as I liked it the short time I drove it, this has me feeling uneasy about the road ahead.

I thought about getting a third-party warranty if I do keep it, anyone know about those?

Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: tenchu

Heh, I thought everything was good when I bought the car. It had a few minor (imo) problems I could live with (pw. locks and srs service). But I wouldn't have bought it had I seen a tranmission rebuild this near in the future. I thought I was getting a good deal. $5000 all said and done, TTL etc. All the others I saw on ebay/autotrader etc were going for like 6.5-10.5k, and blue book was in the 5 digits if I remember correctly. If I do get this straigtened out, i'm not sure i'm going to keep the car, as much as I liked it the short time I drove it, this has me feeling uneasy about the road ahead.

I thought about getting a third-party warranty if I do keep it, anyone know about those?
Not sure about the 3rd party warranties? Never used one? I got mine so cheap becasue the guy (owner of the lot) knew nothing about it plus it does have 230k miles on it! Still everything is in great shape (exterior and interior wise) and everything works fine. I knew I would have to buy some struts and suspension stuff but I planned that in my budget. Still with 230k miles I checked KBB.com and it shows a value of low 5k! I might be somewhat leary of the 3rd party warranties. Do some research on the company before giving them your hard earned $$