Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New 2016 - strange behavior

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2016 - strange behavior

I realize that most of the posts here are for older models, but I thought I'd take a chance and do a post - perhaps some feedback will help my understanding of what I am seeing...

It's been a while since I had a new car (last was a Saab 9-5, 2004) and the glass cockpit of the 2016 s80 has some behavior that I think is buggy, but I can't pin down the circumstances because the behavior is intermittent.
For example, when I rotate the control to dim the dash lights, it does not work-no effect at all. Next time I get in the car and try it, works fine, then maybe 30 mins later, no effect.
Another strange behavior: put the car in reverse, rear view camera comes on as expected. Put car in drive, sometimes the camera screen closes immediately, sometimes it takes 5 seconds, sometimes I've driven a block and the camera is still on.
Another strange quirk: I push the button for the front window defroster, and the AC LED illuminates and the compressor engages immediately, all the time. I can understand the logic, but, when it is 10 degrees outside the climate control computer should have been programmed to read the temperature and determine at 10 degrees F, there is no humidity to speak of, so why engage the AC compressor?

General break in/maint question: Why is there nothing written about 'break in driving' and associated maintenance? I asked the dealer and they said-drive it as you normally would for 10K bring it in and we will change the oil. Errrr, no, I don't think so. I got oil and filter and when it hits 3K miles, I'll do an oil change.

Another strange thing: The user manual outlines where all the fuses are...there are approximately 140 place holders for fuses, and with the options I have on my vehicle, perhaps 90-95 are really used. Ummm, 95 fuses?? The under hood fuse box has about 40 just for the engine. Me thinks this is a bit overkill....it also tells me that with that much of an electrical load in the vehicle, the battery will last about 2 years.

I am a electrical/computer engineer and while I can appreciate the technicalities, I am wondering if all this electronics in the vehicle is contributing to the strange behavior I see....mainly thinking that the computer software is badly designed, causing the cpus to be overloaded...well that is just speculation but diagnosing problems with the car in the future is going to be a real nightmare without the proper diagnostic tools....oh well...
Any insight into my observations are appreciated...

John

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

For example, when I rotate the control to dim the dash lights, it does not work-no effect at all. Next time I get in the car and try it, works fine, then maybe 30 mins later, no effect.

This is likely due to what the light sensor is seeing. When it's bright out, I think it keeps the gauges bright if I remember correctly.

Another strange behavior: put the car in reverse, rear view camera comes on as expected. Put car in drive, sometimes the camera screen closes immediately, sometimes it takes 5 seconds, sometimes I've driven a block and the camera is still on.

Not sure on this one. It should stay active for about 5 seconds after you switch gears or until 6 mph

Another strange quirk: I push the button for the front window defroster, and the AC LED illuminates and the compressor engages immediately, all the time. I can understand the logic, but, when it is 10 degrees outside the climate control computer should have been programmed to read the temperature and determine at 10 degrees F, there is no humidity to speak of, so why engage the AC compressor?
Normal operation. You can turn the AC off.

General break in/maint question: Why is there nothing written about 'break in driving' and associated maintenance? I asked the dealer and they said-drive it as you normally would for 10K bring it in and we will change the oil. Errrr, no, I don't think so. I got oil and filter and when it hits 3K miles, I'll do an oil change.
There is no break in. The dealer is correct.
Another strange thing: The user manual outlines where all the fuses are...there are approximately 140 place holders for fuses, and with the options I have on my vehicle, perhaps 90-95 are really used. Ummm, 95 fuses?? The under hood fuse box has about 40 just for the engine. Me thinks this is a bit overkill....it also tells me that with that much of an electrical load in the vehicle, the battery will last about 2 years.

The battery will be fine. The cars these days have lots of technology. The fuses are there to protect the circuits. It does not necessarily mean more load on the battery.

I am a electrical/computer engineer and while I can appreciate the technicalities, I am wondering if all this electronics in the vehicle is contributing to the strange behavior I see....mainly thinking that the computer software is badly designed, causing the cpus to be overloaded

I don't think you have a problem