Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

I'm a new owner of a 1999 S80 T6. I've read some posts on this site and am somewhat leary of the car now. Its a beautiful automobile and I love the way it drives, though it is my girlfriend's. We just got it and went to Volvo / Saab of Charlotte and had them run their "Used Car Check" on it. Took about an hour and they came back with a list of things. Just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think. First, the HU-801 isn't playing CDs anymore, though there are 4 in there currently. The brake booster has a tear in the rubber part near the firewall on the inside of the car so I'm getting a hissing noise. (Any good junk yards or parts places for the radio or booster? - I don't mind doing my own work) I guess the tie rods are worn, one of the CV boots has a tear in it, the fuel filter needs changed, and a torque mount bushing is separating. The car's got 86k miles and still rides really nice minus the occasional drop in idle when slowing down (fuel filter?) I thought I got an ok deal on it and only need it to last a little over a year or so, then my girlfriend plans on getting an actual paying job. I just don't want to have to worry about her driving around and we also drive it back to Ohio (7-8 hr drive) and need it to take good care of us.

I love the car and hopefully it'll be good to us once we get these little quirks taken care of. Please tell me all will be well and I'm not looking at too much trouble -- hoping people usually come here for the first time when problems arise.

Thanks and hopefully will be in touch with better instead of worse posts.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: New Owner

The brake booster is somewhat common with the high milage cars.That sounds about right if you have hissing.

The radio if you get a used one you will have to have software loaded for it to work.

The idle drop while slowing down have the throttle body cleaned and it should help.

Tie rods are very important and criticial to have fixed.

The C/V boot should be replaced soon or you will need a new axle.

I would also change the fuel filter.

The upper torque mount is common to fall apart.It will give you a clunking when taking off and slowing down.

That car is in pretty good shape with 86k on it. I have seen tons worse with 50k on them.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I purchased the belt and the fuel pump, but realized that all the rest of the parts are Dealer Only. I'm starting a new job and time has become quite scarce but I am going to do most of the work myself -- hopefully. I was looking at the serpentine belt set up and saw that it doesn't seem like the easiest removal or install because of the guard located at the bottom (?)

Either way, I just need to find the time and see get working on it when possible.

I appreciate the assistance and thoughts of the car. It did well for a long trip back to Ohio (from North Carolina) and I hope the car lasts for the time my girlfriend needs to drive it.

I'm glad I found this site and will be checking in from time to time. Thanks again

Old 08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

For the serp belt yes you will have to remove the 4 13mm screws and remove the outside part of the lower crank pulley.

You can purchase alot of those parts and install your self they aren't all that hard.