Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

noise when turning the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when turning the steering wheel

I have a 2002 S80 T6 that is making a strange sound when the steering wheel is turned, especially after it has warmed up. The noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side kick panel or around there. The steering wheel turns fine with no binding. If the wheel is straight it will not make any noise. It almost seems to me that it may be some sort of servo within the power steering design.
The car drives fine but the noise is annoying. Should I worry?
Any ideas would be helpful..

Thanks,

Mark
Albany, NY

Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: noise when turning the steering wheel

There's something wrong with your power steering. Take it in and have a mechanic check it out for you. It could be any number of things (Power Steering Fluid, Pump or the whole system!) so find out exactly what's wrong and what should be fixed.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM

Hi. flushing it is super easy, cheap and fast and may save you some$, disconnect return hose, get a cu of tubing abd a barb to connect them, stick in a 2 L soda bottle, get a few quated of corrcet fluid, top off, ask wife to start car, then pour in fluid as fast as you can, tell het to stop car if u cannot keep up, all of a sudden the flid going in the soda bottle will look clean!!! that means u are done, reconnect and try it. I did mine as a pm thing and I was amazed at the slidge that came out

Old 01-16-2008, 06:56 PM

I know that this may sound a little far fetched but it happened to me! I had the same symptoms and for the life of me couldn't find the source. I waited until it got worse and it turned out to be the blower motor bearing. The slight shift in weight when I turned the wheel loaded the bearing a little differently and it began to squeek. Straighten out and it went away. When you hear the squeek turn off the fan and see if it goes away. I have the same car.

George

Old 01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: magak2572

I know that this may sound a little far fetched but it happened to me! I had the same symptoms and for the life of me couldn't find the source. I waited until it got worse and it turned out to be the blower motor bearing. The slight shift in weight when I turned the wheel loaded the bearing a little differently and it began to squeek. Straighten out and it went away. When you hear the squeek turn off the fan and see if it goes away. I have the same car.

George
Wow, thanks for that info I haven't ever ran into that. I'll check that little tidbit into my brain for future reference.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM

I have exactly the same car and problem it initially only happened when turning right. It has just got to the point where it would do it going straight. I turn off the fan and it stops. I guess a new blower fan is in order.