Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Poor Idle please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Idle please help!!

PLEASE HELP........First off thank you very much for reading, I’m so desperate...

For the past year my cars idle is terrible, it coughs and chugs until the warm up period is done, it’s the worst in wet damp weather, especially rainy days, it will stall at almost every stop light.. In cold weather the car is fantastic, no stalling smooth start, summer spring and fall is not so good at all... I’ve read forums on every web site I can find, so I am very aware of all the issues associated with the symptoms.. I’m listing below all the parts I’ve changed so far and a revelation I discovered by accident, I cleaned out my ETM and the car ran great for a week then back to its symptoms. So I did it again and it ran great for another week or so, then back stalling and rough idle again, It hit me that every time I disconnected the battery and reconnected it the car ran great! All banks running evenly, when the car’s not running well Bank one is NOT.. I’m listing below what has been changed thus far, by my Volvo mechanic, oh one more thing, no codes are coming up! Just makes no sense as to why I disconnect the battery and reconnect and it runs great.. I no longer own this car... It owns me!

NEW ETM and Flash—MAF—PCV—Ignition Coils--New Evap Canister-- Shut-off Valve--New Timing Belt and tensioner-- New Plugs --New Fuel Filter-- New Battery--O2 Sensors both Front and Post Cat--Coolant Temp Sensor--New ETM Intake Pipe—Turbo control Valve

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,495
Drives: 2001 Volvo S80 T6

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

I had a problem like that and come to find out my 02 sensor was crossed from right to left but I was getting a faulty 02 sensor code. sometimes it would run good but most of the time to problem was on idle (it vibrated alot) but never turned off. problem is fixed now but it was a hard one to figure out. Wonder if you intake has a leak somewhere. to find vacuum hose leaks I spray starting fluid on the hoses and if the idle increases that's were the leak is. but only do it when the engine is cold . hope you find the problem

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM

I got a 99 S80 T6 and there is a recall on the throttle position sensor (or something like that) which is what is wrong with my ride and I have the same problems as you. I missed the recall since it had been past the 10 year mark and the cost to have it fixed runs around $1000 so i just deal with it. not sure if that is whats wrong with your ride but something to look in to

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 AM

Hey Mud, the piece you are thinking of is the ETM, Electronic throttle module, I had that changed... We finally found out what it was.. The mechanics were so baffled and he hit my MAF with a screwdriver and it shut off.... go figure, and it was only a year old and threw no codes... Glad it's over!!!$4000 later,

Old 02-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Products for Volvo | Xemodex Inc.
This is a bolt-on/plug-in ETM and eliminates the OEM issues

about 1/2hr job for typical home mechanic - most of the time for me was taking out the air cleaner box/pipes and putting them back. ETM was just 4 bolts and a plug that can only be plugged in one way.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falasi4
Products for Volvo | Xemodex Inc.
This is a bolt-on/plug-in ETM and eliminates the OEM issues

about 1/2hr job for typical home mechanic - most of the time for me was taking out the air cleaner box/pipes and putting them back. ETM was just 4 bolts and a plug that can only be plugged in one way.

Remanufactured !!

for the 99-2002 Throttle body modules you have a 50/50 shot of getting the car to accept it. The car must recognize it, and or use of special computer tools are required.

For the 2003 and up you can not use a re manufactured. IT must be programmed for the car, manually.

Way more to it than you may think.

Preloaded software....haha I wish it were that easy. Electronic Throttle Module for Volvo | Xemodex Inc.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:54 AM

All I can say is I sent them my vin, they sent me a throttle body, I bolted it on/plugged it in, and it has worked fine for well over a year now.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:37 PM

look at the IAT sensor. When you first start it look to make sure the IAT and coolant temp sensor are about the same. IAT should read close to the outside air temp.