Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Rear View mirror replacement 2008 S80

Old 05-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear View mirror replacement 2008 S80

Hey All,

I have one of these due in from Ebay. It's an OEM replacement (I had the guy give me the Vovlo numbers off of it, and compared to my existing one). So it matches, and I am happy to get it for 50 bucks and all. So.... Is there a post some place that shows how these things come off? I have the Auto dim, and the compass one (the expensive one). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JC

Austin, Tx

Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

Since nobody answered me back, I am going to post this response to help somebody out who may do a google search trying to find the same answer to this issue.

The 2008 can be repaired quite easily. The mirror itself can be separated from the controller board without much hassle. It doesn't use the foam double sided tape anymore, they use a plastic bracket from which the board can be removed from very easily. Two solder connections need to be removed (these come from the mirror itself). Once done, remove the original controller board from the bad mirror. Take the replacement unit (I got my whole mirror assembly from eBay from a junk yard OEM Volvo part for 50 bucks) and remove its controller board from its mirror. Then solder old board to new mirror.

The inclusion of the plastic bracket assembly makes things work a whole lot easier. I had mine repaired in about 30-45 minutes. Most of that was cracking the mirror apart without breaking. Use the Jewler's screwdrivers for this do it to the replacement mirror first to get the hang of it (you're only going to use the glass part of it anyways). Since you're using YOUR controller board, YOU DON'T have to get it reprogrammed. It works just fine. Do take the battery lead off and give it the ten minutes, they aren't joking about it. It's the security system that has to completely shutdown. After that it's a breeze. Separate the plastic cover around the mirror (the black rectangular one), turn the mirror about 45 (at the base) and she will come off of the windshield without issues.

Like I said, 50 bucks and 45 minutes of my time saved me almost a grand going to the dealer and getting them to replace it.

JC

Austin, Tx