Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Rough idle/miss, no power, NO CODES???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle/miss, no power, NO CODES???

I'm a noob to Volvos but not complicated cars. I'm trying to help out my neighbor with his '99 S80 2.9. My primary experience is with BMWs. I did a search and found this thread https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...hlight=misfire which is just about exactly what I'm experiencing.

Initially he was experiencing surging and stumbling which I immediately flagged as a potential ETM problem after a little bit of Googling. By the time he got the car to me it wouldn't even idle. It would surge, bounce a bit and stall. Once it cooled it would idle very poorly but not rev past about 2k. I pulled the ETM and found a significant amount of build-up of varnish and a very sticky throttle plate. I cleaned it all up but the sticky plate persisted. It seemed to have a bad bearing or some other internal issue that the return spring couldn't overcome. I reinstalled it to see if the cleaning would have any effect and it actually did idle a bit better. But the stumbling and lack of revs persisted.

I picked up a used but known good ETM from another '99 S80 2.9 in hopes that would be the quick fix. Well it wasn't. It DOES idle quite a bit better when cold and also revs much smoother with less "gaps", but it's still not right. It also worsens as it warms up. The thing that's killing me through all of this is that it's not throwing any codes whatsoever and there's no MIL. I'm completely in the dark here. Is there something I'm missing? Is there anything else aside from the always popular ETM that would cause this? I'm assuming it's stuck in limp mode since it won't rev past 2,000 RPM.

I also went through all of the coils disconnecting them one by one since it's symptoms would also suggest a misfire. To my amazement, I can literally go down the line from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 with ZERO effect on the idle! This one is blowing my mind. After a few shutdowns and restarts, I'm able to duplicate this, but the affected/unaffected cylinders move around. But I'm consistently able to disconnect 4 of the 6 without a discernible difference. After all of this coil disconnection mayhem, it did not throw any codes or an MIL. I'm totally and completely stumped with this one.

Any and all help and/or suggestions enthusiastically accepted!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Default same problem

Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
I'm a noob to Volvos but not complicated cars. I'm trying to help out my neighbor with his '99 S80 2.9. My primary experience is with BMWs. I did a search and found this thread https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...hlight=misfire which is just about exactly what I'm experiencing.

Initially he was experiencing surging and stumbling which I immediately flagged as a potential ETM problem after a little bit of Googling. By the time he got the car to me it wouldn't even idle. It would surge, bounce a bit and stall. Once it cooled it would idle very poorly but not rev past about 2k. I pulled the ETM and found a significant amount of build-up of varnish and a very sticky throttle plate. I cleaned it all up but the sticky plate persisted. It seemed to have a bad bearing or some other internal issue that the return spring couldn't overcome. I reinstalled it to see if the cleaning would have any effect and it actually did idle a bit better. But the stumbling and lack of revs persisted.

I picked up a used but known good ETM from another '99 S80 2.9 in hopes that would be the quick fix. Well it wasn't. It DOES idle quite a bit better when cold and also revs much smoother with less "gaps", but it's still not right. It also worsens as it warms up. The thing that's killing me through all of this is that it's not throwing any codes whatsoever and there's no MIL. I'm completely in the dark here. Is there something I'm missing? Is there anything else aside from the always popular ETM that would cause this? I'm assuming it's stuck in limp mode since it won't rev past 2,000 RPM.

I also went through all of the coils disconnecting them one by one since it's symptoms would also suggest a misfire. To my amazement, I can literally go down the line from cylinder 1 to cylinder 4 with ZERO effect on the idle! This one is blowing my mind. After a few shutdowns and restarts, I'm able to duplicate this, but the affected/unaffected cylinders move around. But I'm consistently able to disconnect 4 of the 6 without a discernible difference. After all of this coil disconnection mayhem, it did not throw any codes or an MIL. I'm totally and completely stumped with this one.

Any and all help and/or suggestions enthusiastically accepted!

Hello,
I am having the same problem and can't figure out what it is. I was driving it today and it would not move over 2000rpms and then I shut the car off, turnd it back on and it ran for about five minutes and then the same thing occured. the idleing is very bad I changed the ETM and put a used but good working ETM on it and the problem still continues, I also started removing the coil packs one by one and no change in the way the car idles. I don't know what to do, I don't want to bring it to the dealer because it always alot of money. Someone with any answers please help.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM

two things that happened to me when i had my 01 s80 t6 which may help you out or not:

the intake manifold pressure sensor caused this exact issue that you explained, was literally the easiest thing I have ever changed on this car.

Before that the delearship thought it was my mass air flow sensor.

Last edited by gordon368; 08-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 AM

It's your ETM. Those are clearly know for their failure that you have discribed. Mine just died with code P0121 and I had it replace at dealer through their extanded warranty program with the defective ETMs. If you are replacing your ETM with another used one...it is still the same old POS and you will have the same result especially if it has been sitting around in a junk yard vehicle. If you have a check engine light and your S80 is less than 10yrs old with less than 200k on it, it qualifies.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM

I also need help with this issue. Does anybody think that this might be caused by a clogged catalytic converter ?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Default Me too

I know this an old thread but hopefully someone is still listening. Any for sure fixes yet cuz my car is doing the same.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Dont make something simple hard. Check 7, 21, and 33 !
FIRST AND ALWAYS check your fuses. Both under hood and dash ! I can't tell you how many problems I have solved with a $.75 fuse. Check all of them. Won't take you 5 minutes and could save you thousands of rip-off dollars at dealerships.