Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 Clunking Noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 Clunking Noises

I have a 2002 S80, which I purchased with a full dealer service history in February with 49,000 miles on the clock. Over the last month or so it developed a cluncking sound, which appeared to come from the the nearside front of the car which is RHD. The sound would not always happen when going over a rough road but seemed to happen more when on a undulating road or when going into bends. Because I was a bit concerned about the safety aspects of the problem I took the car for a full service, MOT test and to have the noise investigated. The result was that the technician could not find any suspension problems and the car passed the MOT without any faults being found. Thinking that it was a problem I might have to put up with I had one last look myself at everything I could get to without a hoist. (I'm getting a bit too old for lying on my back under cars these days.) What I found in the boot was that the battery cover was loose and able to move around, so I packed it to make it secure. Since then the cluncking sound, which sounded like a front suspension problem has disappeared. It seems that the origins of a noise can sometimes be deceptive, as I thought it was coming from the front of the car. It was only when my brother listened to the noise while sitting in the front passenger seat that he said it seemed to be coming from the NS rear. I know this sounds a bit odd that such a simple problem could cause such a significant noise, but its worth trying as its a quick and cheap fix. Hope this post will help if anyone has a similar problem with an S80. Happy days -