Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 GM transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 GM transmission

I have a 2002 S80, 2.9 (non-turbo) with the GM transmission. The car has about 130,000 miles on it. It had about 99,000 miles when I traded for the car, and I had the fluid and filter changed (Dexron VI) around 125,000 miles. So far so good, but my son who is the principle driver reports occasional mild, short slippages under some particular circumstances. Hey, I have that on my GMC pickup- maybe just typical GM...?

I have put some money into rebuilding the front end (EVERYTHING was replaced- some items 2 times to get it right), as well as the replacing a lot of the braking system (rotors, pads), and the timing belt, belt tensioner, and water pump (precautionary), spark plugs, oil cooler lines, etc... and I am thinking now the weakest link is the transmission.

I realize there is no single answer- so much depends on how the trans was serviced before I owned the car, and how it was driven (I have no idea), but bottom line- is there a general "expiration date" on these transmissions?

Anyone seen more than 125k, 150k, 175k miles before a rebuild was required?

If I were to get it rebuilt, what can I expect to pay?

Is the Volvo trans any better than the GM trans, and if so, can they easily be exchanged - same wiring, same computer calibration, etc...?

And thanks to this forum for being here- it has been a huge help to me. AS well as FCP Euro- great people and great prices!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Could be as simple as a required update to the transmission ecu "only done by dealer", or the tranny itself is going out, Since you already flush it. And if you wanna pay a couple of hundred take it in to see if the car is due for an update. Check the tranny oil and check if it smells burnt. Keep us posted

Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM

You make a point I had not considered regarding the ECU "update". I suppose this is a dealer only proposition? I am not fond of the dealer near me, and the other is quite a haul if I had to leave the vehicle. Not to mention the expense. Ugh...

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM

If you take it to a delear and tell them whats happening with the car they might connected and check for required updates or theyre just gonna tell you to put a new trannny in there which is like 3grand. Amd yes is a only dealer thing. But check if the oil smell burnt. You might have a chance but does tranny are weak. Do you have a Check engine light on or message saying: "transmission service required or urgent"?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 AM

I see from a thread elsewhere on this forum that Volvo MAY be doing computer updates for free, with the purchase of some other service (oil change...?). I may give that a shot.

As for the condition of the fluid- I just had it changed, so it is good. also, it was not burned or black when I changed it. From what I can tell by the CarFax, this car was a rental in OKC for a while, then was repurchased by the selling dealer (MB-Volvo OKC) and sold to an individual. It shows regular services at the dealer until about a year before I purchased it. Likely it had the fluid changed at least once before I got the car.

So getting back to my basic question- assuming this trans was well cared for (regular fluid and filter changes)- and not abused- could it last 200k miles? From reading threads here it seems some have gone 150k+ before a rebuild or replacement.

I also see cost to rebuild or replace - as per this forum- are anywhere from $1500 for a rebuild, to $3500 for a new trans installed by Volvo. I could probably justify a $1500 rebuild for this car, as it is a clean machine, and other than the cheap plastics, it seems it is well built, and easy to work on.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:34 AM

It could, but take in consideration that the car is 10 years old and 130,000 miles on it. i believe in 2002 Volvo upgraded something in the car cause the 99 and 2000 were the worst year but im not sure. But i heard that some owners have gone through 160,190k with no tranny problems but that also depends on how u drive, what kind of maintanance u do, if you drive the car on mountains or a lot of hills.

My question again: what is the status of the tranny oil now? Red, orange or black or smells burnt?

How was the car behaving before the tranny fluid change?

Do you have a chck engine light or a message saying transmission service urgent or required?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Fluid looks new.
He reported some slippages before the fluid change.
No warnings on dash.

I still think this may just be the typical GM electronic controlled trans that says "I dont quite know what to do just now". You know, those times when the input from your right foot varies quite a lot just as the trans was about to make an up-shift or a downshift. You confuse it for a moment and it maybe hangs between gears till the computer catches up and tells it what to do. I had a Lexus RX330 with a 5 speed auto that was horrible about doing that.

I have driven it on some short trips- 10 miles or less- on some pretty hot days - 98F or more- and not noticed anything. He probably drives a lot more aggressively than I do too. Oh, and we are flatlanders- Dallas, TX and everything within 250 miles is flat as a billiard table.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 AM

I mostly think is an update that you required to help the computer to prevent those downshifts. Youre better off trying that first.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Default S80 GM transmission

If the same trans is in a 2002 V70 I have 207,000 miles on this car and the trans slips once a day for 100,000 miles so far, it does not seem to get worst nor better and I have changed the fluid. It slips when it wants to, no rhyme, or reason, I let off the gas and it does not slip anymore.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 AM

I had a chance to drive the car for a couple of days straight. Normal to and from work kind of driving. It slipped once, when I was leaving a stop, heading downhill and turning right. I may or may not have shifted throttle position as I did this, fooling the trans as to my intentions. It only happened for a half second before it hooked up solidly. I swear I have the same thing happen in my GMC truck from time to time, and it is probably the computer or the electronic solenoids that control pressure and/or gear selection (clutches). If I ever get a chance to get to the Volvo dealer for some minor item, I will see if they can flash the computer with an update. So far, thankfully, I have no reason to go there.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Dear LoneStar245: Sir, what brand of spark plug did you put into your S80? I have an S80 and I am the second owner of this 2001 S80, thinking it's about time to do the plugs. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chi-town S80
Dear LoneStar245: Sir, what brand of spark plug did you put into your S80? I have an S80 and I am the second owner of this 2001 S80, thinking it's about time to do the plugs. Thanks in advance.
I purchased Bosch Iridium IR Fusion plugs from Rock Auto. They had a rebate that dropped the cost considerably. the price from Rock Auto is currently $5.60ea, and the rebate is $4.00. Freight was $5.62 So my net was $15.22- or $2.53 each.

Rock Auto has many choices, and list the rebates right next to the item, so it is easy to download the rebate form, as well as figure your net cost.

Here is the Bosch page: Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Spark Plugs

These seem to be working fine. My MPG went up about 1 mpg versus the old Bosch Supers that were in it- which is probably the lowest grade Bosch plug.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wonder why this forum discussion stopped without conclusion.

My Volvo s80 1999 recently replaced another used tranny ...which is very good while normal drive ..a minor jerk which driver can feel...but while speeding there is a slipping like if I increase the throttle ....from 20KM/h to 40 KM/h and then at 160 KM/h.

Any idea guys what I need to do...And Today I changed its oil with Castrol Dexron III. I did found some debris in the pan BTW.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wonder why this forum discussion stopped without conclusion.

My Volvo s80 1999 recently replaced another used tranny ...which is very good while normal drive ..a minor jerk which driver can feel...but while speeding there is a slipping like if I increase the throttle ....from 20KM/h to 40 KM/h and then at 160 KM/h.

Any idea guys what I need to do...And Today I changed its oil with Castrol Dexron III. I did found some debris in the pan BTW.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Most high-class vehicles create a declaration about reputation and status; for example, if you see a BMW or Bmw you immediately think about high-class, position and very powerful. However, not everyone wants to be so apparent about experiencing the better items in lifestyle.