Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 Issues that i need some help with

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 Issues that i need some help with

Hi Everyone,
I have a 1999 Volvo S80 T6 and Im having a lot of problems with this car. Here is the background I picked it up for $800. It has been sitting for about a year. The individual that had it hit a stump and cracked the radiator. I had the radiator and upper motor mount replaced ($400 parts and labor). I also just recently had the timing belt, water pump, and crank and cam seals replaced ($1040 parts and labor). Now here is the current problems I am having:

1) When I bought the car it had a dead battery which was also the incorrect type of battery. I replaced it with the correct type and I am getting the service srs, alarm transmission, engine management and other crazy messages. I drove the car and was able to get all but SRS and transmission to disappear (transmission shifts fine). Are these related to the battery change?

2) I am getting a hissing noise which I am thinking is the brake booster, but as I accelerate the noise becomes more pronounced. I have read quite a few posts and none have really described my symptoms.

3)My radio turns on and functions perfectly but I get no sound out of the speakers and when I turn on my seat heaters I get indicator lights on the console but no warmth. Also there is no relay “click”. I am not sure if I am supposed to hear a click or not but I did in my GMC, Lexus, and Mercedes when I turned them on. Also the A/C functions fine just seems to be the radio and seat heaters that are dead.

4) I think my headlight wipers are dead. They are both pointing to the left instead of pointing towards the center of the hood. Is there an easy way to test them? Or could this all be related to my inability to heat my butt or hear my radio?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me. Im trying to stay away from the dealer in my town they are the only dealer and triple their prices.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check fuses. Get the codes cleared and see what (if any) messages comes back.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM

I found out the hard way that when you change the batteries on these cars, if you don't disconnect/reconnect the cables in the right order you trip the SRS message light and the only way to reset it is with a volvo SRS reset tool. Thankfully an indie shop did it for me for a lot less (partially because I was having other work done there anyway) than the dealer.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Here is an update on the car...I went yesterday to pick the car up from the indie that has been repairing it. I made it about 1 mile only to have the PCV system that i was going to hold out on till after income tax to rupture a line and spray oil out the dipstick and all over my engine and cause enough smoke to make me think the car was on fire. I am currently having that repaired today. I am also now getting a check engine light which i didnt have before and also 'srs service urgent", "service alarm system", "service engine management system" and a strange hiss which comes and goes. Its not the hiss associate with my bad brake booster but one that sounds almost like an 18-wheeler releasing its air brakes and it only happens while im driving.