Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 leaking water from head liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 leaking water from head liner

Hello all,
I am new to this forum. I had a 1996 850 for many years and then in 2009 I got a 2007 S80.
Since I bought it, I have occasionally been having this issue. Id say between 1/3 and 1/2 of the times that I take it to a motorized automatic car wash, a lot of water starts leaking in from the front of the cabin lights assembly. This was not happening all the time but it was happening often enough to be annoying and I did not expect this from a newer Volvo.
Every few years while it is at the dealer for service I ask them and plead with them to try to figure out what the issue is. The dealer techs have tried several things and they cannot find what the cause of this could be or how to fix it.
I have also noticed recently this issue has happened a few times when it was raining out, which never happened before.
I am pretty upset that there is nothing that the Volvo techs could find. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before on their volvos or other cars and are there any recommendations on how to fix it?
Thanks.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Do you have a sunroof? If this is the case sometimes the drains from the sunroof can get clogged, I had to use the compressor to blow down the holes in the track around the sunroof to clear them out. Since then no problems with water in the car.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by wpascarelli
Hello all,
I am new to this forum. I had a 1996 850 for many years and then in 2009 I got a 2007 S80.
Since I bought it, I have occasionally been having this issue. Id say between 1/3 and 1/2 of the times that I take it to a motorized automatic car wash, a lot of water starts leaking in from the front of the cabin lights assembly. This was not happening all the time but it was happening often enough to be annoying and I did not expect this from a newer Volvo.
Every few years while it is at the dealer for service I ask them and plead with them to try to figure out what the issue is. The dealer techs have tried several things and they cannot find what the cause of this could be or how to fix it.
I have also noticed recently this issue has happened a few times when it was raining out, which never happened before.
I am pretty upset that there is nothing that the Volvo techs could find. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before on their volvos or other cars and are there any recommendations on how to fix it?
Thanks.
Over time the drain tube that runs down inside the a-pillar shrink pulling them out of the rubber elbow that leads the water out resulting in the water running in to the cabin. The elbow tube is located in the corners at the base of the windshield. The volvo techs should know this