Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 - No Turnsignals or Brakelights - PLEASE HELP !!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 - No Turnsignals or Brakelights - PLEASE HELP !!

Okay, for those of you whom have seen some of my posts you know that I am new to the forum and to Volvo in general so please forgive my ignorance once again! Anyway, I let the car warm up tonight before I left work like I always do. When I left work I was messing with the left hand steering handle (the one with the turnsignals, brights, reset button, etc) because the brights would never "click" or stay on when I pulled back on the lever. Being used to american cars I am used to the lever "clicking into place" when I pullback or push forward on it so the brights will remain on. So dumb me rotated the piece that rolls frontward and backward on the lever (in the manual its letter "B") Well after doing that I now have no turnsignals and no breaklights!!!!! The third brakelight works but not the ones on the taillights?!?! My first thought was I blew a fuse so I checked the panel and the turnsignal fuse was not blown, I changed it anyway to no avail. The turnsignals blink when I turn the warning flashers on and the third break light works still ?!?!? I'm stumped? I tried pushing the reset button, turning that piece both ways, pushing in the button on the end, and messing around with it all a little in general but still no breaklights or turnsignals!?!?!? Is there something easy I am overlooking, could it be the lever itself is out? Any suggestions are greatly appriciated as I need to get this thing back on the road ASAP for my fiance' . Thank you in advance!

- Cameron

Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: S80 - No Turnsignals or Brakelights - PLEASE HELP !!

Figured it out !!! Thanks to a little searching on these forums I found a similar post and it was the SWM (Steering Wheel Module) Fuse. It wasn't blown but I took it out and put it back in like it said in the post below and it worked fine! Your forum rocks!

https://volvoforums.com/m_81486/tm.htm

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you figured out yet how to keep your brights on? If not, there is a rotational dial to the left of the wheel, put it on the brights setting (highest setting, all the way to the right) and then try again.. it would stay on.. Basically one is for night driving, the middle is off (parking lights) and the left one is just typical volvo auto on lights that can flash but not actually stay on
glad you figured it out

Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: nicolaselias

Have you figured out yet how to keep your brights on? If not, there is a rotational dial to the left of the wheel, put it on the brights setting (highest setting, all the way to the right) and then try again.. it would stay on.. Basically one is for night driving, the middle is off (parking lights) and the left one is just typical volvo auto on lights that can flash but not actually stay on
glad you figured it out
Nope I did not know that! Actually I was wondering what it did, I figured the middle out to be the parking lights like you said but I wasn't sure the difference between the other two. Thank you for shedding light on the subject for me!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 AM

No problem, im also very new to volvo.. .got my S80 in september... and considering im only 20, its my first... I had to figure out these things for myself until i found this forum haha. Anyway, dont hesitate to post questions on the forum..
What year S80 is yours and what model? Also what part of the country you in?
later man

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: nicolaselias

No problem, im also very new to volvo.. .got my S80 in september... and considering im only 20, its my first... I had to figure out these things for myself until i found this forum haha. Anyway, dont hesitate to post questions on the forum..
What year S80 is yours and what model? Also what part of the country you in?
later man
Thanks again, I'm 29 and always liked the look of certain Volvo's, the S80 in particular but never really looked into them when I bought my cars. I was always a domestic car fan, mainly muscle cars etc. My S80 is a '99 2.9 non turbo. The turbo would have been nice but the car is mainly for my fiance' and for me to drive to work sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I've already started my list of mods I would like to do ie: suspension work first, then window tint and some wheels and possibly a bodfy kit. I also have a '01 Mustang GT that I love like my second child and an '03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. You can check my rides out on car domain by following the link below. Thanks again and I am glad to have found you and the rest of the gold ole folks here at volvoforums.com!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/capocam

Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 AM

I have to confess that prior to getting the 02 S80 2.9 I always said I would do some mods to whatever car I got... however on gettng this, im just battling to keep it as stock as possible. I dont want to add anything that isnt oem or original spec to it, volvo just did that great a job in designing it.. The only thing im added are the volvo fog lamps to the front from the t6 model.. I dont need new wheels as I have the upgraded one from the t6 model so im covered there.. also the guy who had the car before me did a $200 tinting job on it so im also ok on that front..
I also always said I would load the car with audio, but it seems almost wrong to consider doing that... the sound system is great and so are the wheel controls and cd changer.. I plan to keep this baby as stock as possible...
The only changes il ever consider are maybe putting xenon lights, but itl have to be volvo oem and spec.. and turbocharging this baby (pipe dream).... maybe one day...
The closest car iv driven to this is my dads 96 Acura RL... very similar cars in some ways... the t6 volvo smokes the acura 3.5l on power by about 40hp but the NA models the acura has about 30 more...
Anyway, I didnt plan to get a volvo, i just searched the listing expecting to see some super priced cars... I was mroe looking at cheap domestic crap like tauruses and impalas... the s80 may have had more miles but im proud of my choice.. il never forget that feeling of joy when I finally finished the paperwork and got to drive it up I-275 coming home..