Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 passenger door lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 passenger door lock

Just got a s80 year 2000 diesel and the seller told me about a fault which i will need to sort but as i usually diy just need to find out opinion on what part i might need as doing a search for door lock mechanisms seems to bring up actuator and solenoid, the solenoid having either 2 or 5 wires so am a bit confused.

The symptoms are:
If i open the doors with either the key in the drivers door or the remote, all doors open apart from the passenger door, the button does not pop up, I can open the passenger door by lifting the inside lock handle as normal and the button pops up.

Once open the door can be locked either with the key or the remote.

I can see that the previous owner has tried to lubricate the button (there is a trace of oil that had run down the door card)

It's not a new problem as the previous owner said it had been like that a while.

Any ideas guys and gals -

Old 03-23-2011, 07:37 PM

could be a faulty latch assembly, you could pull the door panel and remove the assembly and use a battery charger with jumper wires and observe how it functions, but it sounds like the latch to me, I replaced two on my 2000 s-80, good luck hope it helps.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by beefheart
could be a faulty latch assembly, you could pull the door panel and remove the assembly and use a battery charger with jumper wires and observe how it functions, but it sounds like the latch to me, I replaced two on my 2000 s-80, good luck hope it helps.
Do you mean the actual lock you replaced or was it the lock actuator ?

Trouble is things are called different things!!
Here is a door lock and handle assemby (sorry ebay again)
Door lock and handle

and here is a us site showing a door latch actuator (note us only Uk model has deadlock)
Door latch actuator

and then there is this part which is called front passenger side locking mechanism - I think maybe its this
Mechanism

Last edited by g4jnw; 03-24-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 PM

I replaced the door latch actuator on two of my s-80 doors.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 AM

For those that have replaced the door lock actuator. How did you get that out of the door? How did you do it? Looks tight.

I may have a similar problem. The locks sometimes do not work right. I have started the car closed the door and the thing has locked all by it self. Sometimes the drivers door locks with the remote and the passenger pops up, sometime visa-versa. I have not changed the actuators yet because I think the problem is with the alarm siren and battery in the front fender. The door locks work fine after running the car for a while. They only mess up after its been sitting for a while. I am guessing the alarm battery can not hold the charge and drains when sitting messing up the whole system. I do get the service alarm warning when the doors lockes go wacky.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jdp6000
For those that have replaced the door lock actuator. How did you get that out of the door? How did you do it? Looks tight.

I may have a similar problem. The locks sometimes do not work right. I have started the car closed the door and the thing has locked all by it self. Sometimes the drivers door locks with the remote and the passenger pops up, sometime visa-versa. I have not changed the actuators yet because I think the problem is with the alarm siren and battery in the front fender. The door locks work fine after running the car for a while. They only mess up after its been sitting for a while. I am guessing the alarm battery can not hold the charge and drains when sitting messing up the whole system. I do get the service alarm warning when the doors lockes go wacky.
Hi Im waiting to fit the actuator too, but have now wondered what the alarm siren has to do with the door actuators, spoken to the previous owner today who tells me that the alarm siren on my car has not worked for a while but the visual alarm (flashing lights) works fine, I can agree with that as i have now tested, he also tells me the passenger door actuator has also not worked for a while.
If they are connected in any ways can someone confirm this?
The siren was not repaired when it failed as it was going to cost more than £200 but as i say the visual alarm works

Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by g4jnw
Hi Im waiting to fit the actuator too, but have now wondered what the alarm siren has to do with the door actuators, spoken to the previous owner today who tells me that the alarm siren on my car has not worked for a while but the visual alarm (flashing lights) works fine, I can agree with that as i have now tested, he also tells me the passenger door actuator has also not worked for a while.
If they are connected in any ways can someone confirm this?
The siren was not repaired when it failed as it was going to cost more than £200 but as i say the visual alarm works
The siren and battery are in the front passenger side fender. There is a rechargeable battery with it. When the battery leaks it damages the circuit board. All kinds of strange things happen. I am going to change that first. Then worry about the actuator in the door.

By the way my lights flash too. Siren has never worked. I do get "sevice alarm message" almost every morning.

J

Old 03-28-2011, 03:50 AM

The siren and battery are in the front passenger side fender. There is a rechargeable battery with it. When the battery leaks it damages the circuit board. All kinds of strange things happen. I am going to change that first. Then worry about the actuator in the door.

By the way my lights flash too. Siren has never worked. I do get "sevice alarm message" almost every morning.

J
Post back when you have done it and if it affects the actuator - I read the article from swedishandgerman and he had problems with the alarm going off intermittently I don't get the service alarm message so will see how you do, certainly its on my job list.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Further to last posting, noted carefully when i switched the car on and yes iam getting the alarm system message, hadn't realised.
So keen to see how you get on.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by g4jnw
Further to last posting, noted carefully when i switched the car on and yes iam getting the alarm system message, hadn't realised.
So keen to see how you get on.
Do you notice they work correctly after the car has been driven for a while?

Its very cold here. It will be a month or so before I can tackle the job. The siren and battery are in the passenger front fender just behind the marker light. You need to remove the inner plastic wheel skirt to get at it. The siren is rivited to the framing. You need to drill out the rivit to drop it down. I have another one I grabbed from a scrap yard. Not that big of a job but still hard to do when cold.

I'll keep you posted.

j

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 PM

Do you notice they work correctly after the car has been driven for a while?

Its very cold here. It will be a month or so before I can tackle the job. The siren and battery are in the passenger front fender just behind the marker light. You need to remove the inner plastic wheel skirt to get at it. The siren is rivited to the framing. You need to drill out the rivit to drop it down. I have another one I grabbed from a scrap yard. Not that big of a job but still hard to do when cold.

I'll keep you posted.

j
Only seem to get the warning in the morning and when the car has been left a while, when the car is still warm don't get it, infact thats why i didn't notice it.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM

I have the same 2 situations with my 2000 S80. I doubt the actuator and the lack of siren on the alarm are related though. My alarm siren has not made a noise in the time I have had the car, although the alarm warning comes on all the time, and the remote will not work. The door lock actuator has just started to cause a problem in the last week or so. Since my power window motor has gone out over there as well, I am going to tackle all that at once

Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Foxxtrot
I have the same 2 situations with my 2000 S80. I doubt the actuator and the lack of siren on the alarm are related though. My alarm siren has not made a noise in the time I have had the car, although the alarm warning comes on all the time, and the remote will not work. The door lock actuator has just started to cause a problem in the last week or so. Since my power window motor has gone out over there as well, I am going to tackle all that at once
Sounds like you have a different problem. Maybe the controller in the door.