Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 T6 check engine light on

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool S80 T6 check engine light on

Just bought a 2000 volvo S80 T6. the car runs extremely well until i come to a stop then it idles a little rough. The check engine light is on so i took it down to Autozone and they ran the codes....it comes up with saying its the Camshaft Sensor. However reading on some forums i noticed it could be a couple different things. I didnt want to go spend the 197 dollors on that sensor unless that is actually it. Considering its only idling rough and driving exceptionally well other than that, whats the possibilty on it being that sensor?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:23 PM

if the CEL is flagging Cam sensor then you might want to change it. I don't think there is anything that will cause that to come up other than a bad Cam sensor. you might have multiple issues though so there is no way of knowing if this will solve the idle issue without looking at how everything else is running. There are code blockers that will keep other codes from popping if you have another code displayed. I.E. a P0300 misfire code will keep a P0422 Cat code from popping until it is fixed. Once the blocker code is fixed then it will show the other code.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Cool

I intend too however i have been looking throughout these forums and i have noticed people saying that if the cam shaft sensor is bad then the car wouldn't start, which it starts just fine. I also have a moderate gas/exhaust smell that comes from the car when in starts idleing rough at stop lights and stop signs. Does the cam shaft sensor have something to do with gas/exhaust smell coming from the car?

Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Default aa

Could be many things, I agree with you, do not spend any money until you're positive, getting a code reader for your car is a good idea... MAF O2 or a bad or faulty ETM can all give you the same symptoms... good luck..

Old 02-12-2012, 04:19 PM

the cam sensor lets the computer know where the #1 cylinder is. This will affect the timing since it is computer controlled. If your timing is off then that would explain the smell you are getting. If you continue to drive it like that then you run the risk of damaging other components that can add up. I.E. the cat and O2 sensors. If you aren't igniting the fuel correctly then you dump extra fuel down the exhaust and the O2 sensor will try to lean the mixture. The cat will ignite the fuel and overheat and damage itself. A cat can run $500-$1200 and O2 sensors $120-$300 ea so please bite the bullet now for the Cam sensor before you run the price up to fix it. Don't forget this might not fix the idle problem but it should help, and it keeps more money jumping out of your pockets.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM

The Cam sensor can cause a no start but not always. You should notice that your gas mileage is suffering since the code popped. Yes the sensor will cause a rough idle. However, there are so many sensors that monitor everything and try to adjust the motor to top performance they will try to adjust for the faulty Cam sensor so your symptoms can often be jumping around. The sensor is easy as pie to change so don't take it in to be replaced. However, the O2 and Cat are a big P.I.T.A. but do able so save yourself some pain and hastle.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the help Lunger . Not too worry, the car has been sitting until this gets taken care of. One last thing if i may ask. Does it matter if it is the genuine sensor or no? The reason why im asking is cause i have also read that a few people were complaining cause they bought the non-genuine one from Autozone(which costs $197) and it fixed the problem...but for only 3 days Is that common problem? Do you HAVE to buy the genuine parts for this car?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM

I stick with parts that at least meet OEM specs. I only get genuine Volvo parts when I can't find after market parts. With respectable name brand part and proper maintenance you can't go wrong. Ignition parts I prefer Bosch, except for spark plugs which I prefer NGK. For some reason Volvo is really proud of there parts and charge entirely too much money for them. The same goes for the dealership flag hour rates.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM

what code do you have? P----. i wouldent trust someone who sells parts for a living to tell me what is wrong with my car. get the code and go from there. standard makes good electric parts they are sold under bwd and intermoto and napa echlin. i have not used them on many volvos but standard seems to make good parts.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Has the car recently had a timing belt or any major work done on it?