Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Small radiator leak 2002 T6

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small radiator leak 2002 T6

I think I have a small leak towards the bottom passenger side of the radiator. I saw a small bead of anti-freeze on the radiator when I had the front shroud off two days ago. It seems like it comes out of the back side of the radiator about 1 inch in from the side. I will double check to make sure it is not a leaking hose running down and weeping at that particular point. It never gets more than a ¼ inch below the max in the reservoir (I check every day and top it up every two weeks with an ounce or two). Since it never gets close to the min level and never run beyond the middle of the temp gauge, I am I running a risk by not replacing the radiator?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you will need to change the radiator soon.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I will check the vadis instructions.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Are all the clamps tight?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:52 PM

I did not see any weeping of fluid when I was under the car this weekend, but the area directly under 100% of the radiator was slightly wet with coolant. The hoses do not have any signs of leaks (no whitish residue etc). Looking at the VADIS instruction it does not look like changing the radiator is too difficult. I keep it filled too the max line until I get to this project.

It looks like I should probably change the upper and lower radiator hoses and the hose to the expansion tank. What about the upper and lower AT cooler lines? Also, the instructions have you removing the canister purge valve and MAP sensor. Any idea if I should replace these two while I am at it? The car runs well. It is a 2002 S80 with about 95k.

I would appreciate any hints or input on this project. Also, views on OEM, VOLVO branded etc for parts.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Administrator

You can do the hoses(coolant) but the tranny lines and sensors will be fine leaving them alone.

For the radiator try to find a nissens they are a good brand.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 AM

I have had several reputable mechanics tell me to consider a leak treatment for small leaks. I objected that people say they mess up other things, and the response is if it were my car I would not be worried with the newer products. Their incentive is to charge me an arm & leg to replace the radiator, so I think it is safe to say I am getting their best opinion.

My question, as always, is with 94k on the trans (fluid and filter changed at about 80k) how much do I drop into this car? I am not having noticable transmission problems, but it is a 2002 T6 (I have changed fluid and have never abused this car so that may help).

If a leak stop saves me $500 in parts plus a day of my time and buys me a year to see how the tran is operating, that is a great thing unless it screws up something else. So any thoughts, particularly a specific description of what the leak treatment may screw up would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

This is how I see it. That stuff id designed to clog the hole to stop the leak.
So there is small passages inside the motor and radiator. Those might clog. Also it might mess up the thermostat and other small areas in the system.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 PM

And the heater core etc. I am going to keep track of it for one week as it now appear to not be leaking. Ran it 30 minutes temp gauge sits spot on the middle and no signs of a leak. Is it possible it overflowed before wetting just belwo the radiator but not pooling on the ground? I guess if I am going to pay to have the T-belt done by a pro this summer, I can risk the extra $300 to buy the radiator and put it in myself. It does not look all that hard except I am going to have to estimate how high up it needs to be to drop the radiator from below. I have SUV jack stands that might work.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jmallie - I'm with you on the economics of the situation, and Tech I'm with you on the potential for something other than the leak to get plugged. I went with the economics argument and used a leak sealant, and I've been crossing my fingers for about 2k miles. So far there have not been negative side affects.
________
Volvo b4b engine picture

Last edited by PieceKeeper; 03-14-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Strange it has been about a week, lots of miles and hot weather and I have lost no fluid. I even pulled the air baffle and no longer see signs of a leak. What the heck is going on? I know I say a drop of fluid running down the radiator and was down an oz or so when I first noticed the problem while replacing a fog lamp. Now the fluid level sits right at the max line and stays there. It has never shown above the mid point on the temp gauge. I am glad but confused.