Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Smoking S80 T6. HELP!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking S80 T6. HELP!!!

I have a 2001 s80 t6 with 127,xxx miles. I have a basic after market air intake filter, and i had the boost turned up to like 15psi or around that. (i used a manual boost controller and a diode mod for the map, but i wanted to do it the non-getto way and get it flashed so i took it all off, except for the filter)

Then about a month later it started blowing big puffs of a grey colored smoke out the tail pipe, when i got on it more... when i let off is when the puff of smoke just bursted out, but it would stop after about 5 sec. And thought my head gasket took a sh*t and ill just dump the car for cheap...
About 2 weeks ago i was driving up the street and the whole street behind me was just a big cloud of smoke....... i smelled the smoke and it just kinda smelled like you just started up your car in the morning when its cold. That little bit of condensation that come out. But just a lot more smoke and didn't go away. As soon as i start the s80 up, it takes about 20 sec, then the smoke comes pouring out.

Smoke just doesn't magically appear without something burning, either oil or coolant.

1) I have taken every single spark plug out and looked at the top of every piston, and saw that the top of the pistons weren't steam cleaned so i narrowed out coolant getting in the system and burning creating a nice clean piston surface

2) I took all the volvo brand spark plugs out and looked at them they were a little bit gunked up, but not a lot. I just don't think the spark plugs have been changed in a while.

3) I took off the the plastic boost pipe that both turbos feed air into and goes over the top of the motor. The inside of the boost pipe that the small turbo blows air into seems to have a little oil residue around the inside but nothing hardly at all, that would cause any smoke.

4) I then looked at the big turbo side of the boost pipe and it had a little oil residue inside of it, but i really don't think it looked that bad. And it wouldn't cause that much smoke.

So what would you do next?
And what do you think could be causing the smoke to come out like that?

Last edited by vegast6; 02-28-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 PM

I hope you are kidding with 15PSI.

Black or grey smoke (as opposed to blue) indicates excess carbon, typically from a rich mixture. If you were boosting the $hit out of it, that could cause a vacuum leak somewhere causing it to run rich. Occasionally aftermarket filters foul MAF sensors which can cause rich running as well. The sensors are self-cleaning but only to a point. The quantity of smoke you mention sounds more like a head gasket however. Is it consuming coolant? You cant really tell for sure by looking at the pistons if the head gasket is leaking. I think a coolant pressure test might be your next move. Often valve guide seal leaks will show up on the overrun, but again I dont think this is your issue.

Is the CEL on? Any codes stored?

Last edited by NoLifeTilBoost; 02-28-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM

see and that was kinda thinking is that it was running rich. cause im not going thru coolant i mean it get a little low tim to time but my oil gets lower faster then the coolant but if its burning oil it sure doesnt smell like it.
its throwing the fllowing codes so far i havent scan it since it has been sitting

p1152
p0013
but i know its trowing like 4 others

Last edited by vegast6; 03-01-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Those codes are for the O2 sensors. Not surprising given your description. They are being thrown as a result of your main issue; they are not the issue itself. There is no telling what all you could have destroyed if you ran 15psi without any other major modifications.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by schwatd
Those codes are for the O2 sensors. Not surprising given your description. They are being thrown as a result of your main issue; they are not the issue itself. There is no telling what all you could have destroyed if you ran 15psi without any other major modifications.
P1152 translates to Volvo DTC ECM-290A (Front O2, bank 2 Signal too high intermittant)
P0013 translates to DTC-ECM-6440 (Camshaft Reset Valve, signal missing intermittant)

Disconnect the MAF (With the key out of the ignition!), go for a drive and see if the smoke reduces. Give it time to clear itself out. No point in replacing an O2 if its going to get crapped all over with carbon. On the P0013 it could be a sludged up VVT solenoid, faulty VVT unit or incorrect oil viscosity. Clear the codes, see which ones come back.

Where did the diode go that you mentioned? If it was on the the MAF it may just be that the fuel trim is out of whack now that you are on stock boost and airflow.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NoLifeTilBoost
P1152 translates to Volvo DTC ECM-290A (Front O2, bank 2 Signal too high intermittant)
P0013 translates to DTC-ECM-6440 (Camshaft Reset Valve, signal missing intermittant)

Disconnect the MAF (With the key out of the ignition!), go for a drive and see if the smoke reduces. Give it time to clear itself out. No point in replacing an O2 if its going to get crapped all over with carbon. On the P0013 it could be a sludged up VVT solenoid, faulty VVT unit or incorrect oil viscosity. Clear the codes, see which ones come back.

Where did the diode go that you mentioned? If it was on the the MAF it may just be that the fuel trim is out of whack now that you are on stock boost and airflow.

Oops. You are right. Read that as p0131. Apparently I am now channeling my own frustrating car issues.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by NoLifeTilBoost

it was the diode mod that a lot of guys do with the vw 1.8t engines do. it goes on the map sensor and you tap into the wires.
http://s90139951.onlinehome.us/vw/diodemod.htm

Old 03-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by vegast6
it was the diode mod that a lot of guys do with the vw 1.8t engines do. it goes on the map sensor and you tap into the wires.
http://s90139951.onlinehome.us/vw/diodemod.htm

OK gotya. Well, disconnect the MAF (Yes MAF not MAP), drive it and see how it runs. Hopefully all that's happened is the MAF crapped out.

Last edited by NoLifeTilBoost; 03-03-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 PM

i think the big turbo just took a sh*t theres just way too much smoke

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by vegast6
i think the big turbo just took a sh*t theres just way too much smoke
Thats not good. Thick black smoke or blue? If its black its most likely a turbo issue. They are both the same size. Either way Im hoping its a cheap fix for you.

Im off now to freeze my nuts off and take off my oil-covered timing belt. FML

Old 03-07-2011, 01:25 PM

well alldata calls for 9.5 hours so Fu*k that im just gonna dump the car for cheap