Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XC-90 Smoking HELP

Old 05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XC-90 Smoking HELP

I took my 2006 XC90 to get an oil change at the local Volvo, they said it had a had a vacumm leak and repaired the hose. When I picked up the car it is smoking awful, they said the PVC is sucking oil back in the engine and that I need a new engine for $12,000. . We never had any problems before taking the car in, did regular oil changes and the car only has 66,000 miles on it. What happened that I need a new engine? or do I?
If any one has any ideas please help. Thanks

see update below

Last edited by benprojr; 05-13-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: update info
Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Sounds like your getting jobbed to me. You can replace the entire PCV system for a couple hundred. It wouldn't run normally if you needed a new engine. In addition, $12k for an engine? Give me a break!

Go to a different dealer and have em take a look.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:26 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hose they "repaired" is where the problem lies.
Start there and find out why you're consuming oil now and not before.
Ed

Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Angry Update to smoking xc

well the Dealer said everything is fine no more smoke come pick up the car, when I went to pick up the car the smoke that came out filled the bay. They said they did not have a clue, that Volvo did not have a clue but that I should take the car home and monitor the oil. The Service manager also told me that a vacumm leak could cause a hole in the piston or cylinder. I just dont know...... I am picking up the car today and will probably take the car somewhere else and maybe they are smarter than Volvo and thier Master Techs.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Thumbs down Update 5/17

Went to pick up the XC-90 on Friday afternoon, the dealer said they did not have a clue drive and monitor the car for a while. Drove out of the dealership a little smoke came out then all of a sudden the lights came on sying "no oil pressure pull over" well I turned around and drove right back in the bay at the dealership (about a half mile total) this time the car was screamiing and making all sorts of noise from the engine. The Service manager came out and everyone in the area came out to see what was aking all that noise. He told me to leave the car and they would contact Volvo because they had no clue to what the problem was. Well today they told me i must provide every oil change reciept from the time I bought the car in 2006 to prove it was taken care. Maybe they need to prove to me the damage was there before they touched my car? As far as I know Volvo of Dallas jacked up my car and are trying to pass the blame. How can they say I need a new engine and in the same sentence say they do not know what is wrong with the engine? WTF?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Any chance the Turbocharger has gone bad? My turbocharger is failing. As a result, it is burning and using up oil. Just last week we got a "no oil pressure pull over" message. I am now looking at replacing the turbo or maybe even removing the turbo and going with less horsepower.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:34 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

weber-
Sounds like you need to check the sump occasionally and find a mechanic to locate your source of oil loss. Simply removing the turbo is not an option.
Ed

Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Default Smoking!

06 XC90 73K Smoking as of this morning!
Bought this car @ Carmax when it had 58K on it, runs great, no messages. This morning saw blue smoke out of pipes, lots of it! My question is this: I have bought extra warranty for 36K, should I take the car to Carmax or Volvo dealer? Who would be more concerned to fix it right, no matter what the repair might cost, other than just blame all on me(like the previous post). Extra warranty is by Volvo.
Thank you.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM

I would probably take it to the Volvo dealership. However, if it was my car I would not take it to the Volvo dealership nearest me as last year when I took it in for the fuel pump recall, the local dealer came back to me with an estimate exceeding $3,000 for work they said needed to be done. I took my car to a friend who is a mechanic and we went over the car and found that while some of the work needed to be done, some of the work they said was required definitely was not. For example, they wanted to replace the power steering pump because they said it was leaking. There was no sign of leakage and I've never had to add any P/S fluid before or since. The dealer also charged me $35 to rotate the tires. Expensive. But especially expensive when we later found that they had not even rotated them. When I complained to the dealer they made no offer to remedy things. So ... if it was my XC90 I'd probably take it to a different Volvo dealer. Good luck! I sure hope its not your Turbo(s) or anything worse. And I hope your extended warranty covers whatever work needs to be done.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 AM

The dealer found nothing wrong with it! Did the tests, drove it for 2 days, ran the diagnostics and "no codes stored". And my auto is not smoking anymore. Took it to a "specialized Volvo shop" and the guy told me these T5 engines are very delicate on fuel. It could have been that, because a few days beforehand I came back from the beach and on my way home I did fill up in the country side at a very old convenience store.