Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Starting isssue...it doesn't want to.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting isssue...it doesn't want to.

I have an '01 S80 T6 which lately has developed a very annoying problem; It's been very balky starting. Sometimes it starts right up on the first crank. Other times it take a dozen tries before it catches. One thing I have noticed when it's cranking away is that sometimes the tach needle spikes and dances around. Not sure if that's relevant, but thought I'd mention it.

It doesn't seem to matter whether it's cold or if I've run 60 miles on the highway. Sometimes it's first crank, sometime I don't think it's going tostart at all.

The only major work I've ever had done is a transmission rebuild in May of 2006 after one of the planetary gears let go; https://volvoforums.com/m_28421/tm.htm

I'm more worried than anything else that it just won't start when I'm just beyond the middle of nowhere and will be taking it in. I'm just wondering what it could be before they look at it.

Any ideas?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Starting isssue...it doesn't want to.

Either 1 of 2 things is doing it.
1. Poor ground connection on the front of the transmission.
2. Improper routing of the positive terminal from the starter to the fuse panel.

I have seen both cause the issue.

Check ground wire. If that is good reroute the positive wire so it is further from the engine speed sensor mounted in the top of the transmission.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM

The good news is you're right.

The bad news is...you're right.

The dealership had three senior techs look at it and they all agreed that the likely cause was bad grounding at the transmission, so you were right.

The bad news is that they have to drop the transmission to clean the contacts & ensure the mating surfaces are solid. Two days & $1400.

Beats a new transmission, I suppose, but still not the simple fix I was hoping for (but knew better than to expect).

Thanks, Tech.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Did they start the job yet?
If not then have the run a ground wire from the engine to the transmission and that should fix the ground issue.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Also tell them you know there is a Tech Note about the speed sensor routing and you want to make sure your car is not involved in that as well before they pull the tranny. I would hate to see you spend $1400.00 to find out it was the speed sensor in the end.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks very much, Tech. I'll call them in the morning & have those conversations.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

OK let me know how you make out.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Default RE: Starting isssue...it doesn'

Well...

The ground strap didn't work.

The speed sensor didn't make a difference.

They pulled the transmission & found evidence of corrosion on the mating grounding surfaces, so they think a good cleanup will fix that problem.

BUT

When they dropped the transmission, they also found that three of the six bolts in the torque converter were stripped. I asked if they could tap & use large bolts and was told they couldn't because of the way the bolts are configured, running through the flywheel. A new torque converter is going to cost...$1400. On top of the other $1400.

I love this car.

Really.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Starting isssue...it doesn

starter on the way out maybe ?
PS: what is it with volvo owners and dealers ??? maybe if people went to the dealer less they would actually try to have competitive pricing.!?!?!?!

how do you know they did not strip those bolts ?

and who tried to extra grounding wire ? the dealer ? trust me its better for them to have that wire fail so you would pay more diagnostics fees
BTW are you near Algonquinn ?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Sorry I was hoping for a better outcome!!!!
I have had a few that once we moved the positive battery cable away from the motor it worked fine.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM

tech; Me too. It's still less than a new transmission...thanks for your help. I should be getting it back Thursday. I'll let you know what the final outcome is.

andrei3333; I had a great independent mechanic. He closed his doors because the bulk of his business was older Volvos, too many of which are coming off the road to keep his business viable. For all of the technology behind these cars, there are really very few options beyond the dealer. It's not as simple as changing the oil & slapping on a new distributor cap any more.

How do I know they didn't strip the bolts? I suppose I don't, but having developed a relationship with them, there is a level of trust.

The ground strap idea came to me from tech (below), and the dealer had actually already tried that by the time I called them this morning; they were on the same track. tech has no vested interest in the repair & maintenance of my car, yet I take him at his word when it comes to the possible solutions to the problems & symptoms I provide. When my dealer reaches those same conclusions, I don't have any issue affording them the same respect I do tech.

These cars are not inexpensive to own. I'm all in favor of saving money when & where I can, but I will not compromise my safety or that of my family nor the quality of service on my vehicle to save a buck.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I will be waiting to hear back from you.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

Well...

The dealer wasn't able to find a torque converter anywhere in Canada. They managed to find ONE through Volvo USA which finally arrived Monday.

End result was; Torque converter & RPM sensor, new battery plus plugs (and an oil change).

Bottom line...

$1692 labor
$1804 parts

plus the tow & taxes, it ended up at just slightly over $4000.

Merry Christmas...and Happy New Year.

The upside is the car runs great now.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Glad it runs good now.
Sad it cost you that much but it is running now.