Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Stay or Go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay or Go?

Hey all,

Over the past several years, my 2001 2.9 has had many strange problems and has required many visits to the dealer and independent mechanics. I replaced a power door lock twice, the transmission at 84K, all of the required services at correct intervals, various sensors, had the ETM and associated hoses cleaned or replaced, as well as countless bulbs to satisfy the cars typical bulb-every-three-weeks appetite, and other misc. repairs totaling just under $8,000 in less than five years, not including wear and tear items.

I suspect the ETM is on the verge of failure, my air conditioning does not work, the headlights are shorting, the car makes annoying noises, and on my way home from the office today, the car totally crapped on me in the middle of a six-lane intersection; electrical system service needed, all dash lights on, windows would not operate, etc. I am guessing this time it is the alternator or voltage regulator. And while I do not have the manual with me (car is now waiting at dealership), I feel like a service is due in another 4,000 miles or so.

What would you do if this was your car? I know that when the winter comes, it will only get worse (as it has in the past). The condition of the car however is immaculate. It is washed 1-2 times a week, lives in the garage, and people are always surprised to hear it's a 10 year old car. The reported book value on the car is right around $5,000 with its current 138K miles. I have also upgraded several things like adding the 10-CD changer and rear sunshades, as well as re-dying all of the black plastic side and bumper trim and vinyl trim on the door-tops.

This is my second S80 and I think they are still one of the best-looking cars on the road, but I am done with Volvo nonsense, whether it be the horrendous dealer service or the fact that every damn thing you do with the car requires a bit of software, for example. Also, I don't want to get killed because the supposed safest car of its time stalled on the highway or stranded me at a gas station in the barrio.

Is it time to cut my losses? A family member has a Cadillac STS which has been nothing but reliable and a pleasure to drive, and I am eyeballing a reasonably-priced, sleek black one at the local dealer.

Cheers

Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 PM

If it was me, I would dump the S80 and look for a good S60. S70 or 850.... Unf. the S80's can be hit or miss. The STS aren't as reliable as you think. They are better than the S80s but they also have their share of "issues" with the electrical systems and some have issues with the ABS systems, not to mention that GM uses craptastic plastic trim all over, but that's just me

Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Hm. Whether or not I keep this S80 for longer than the summer, I am certain it will be my last Volvo. I wouldn't want a smaller one either, I feel the S80 is already on the tight side. Additionally, my parents have had many dealings with the local GM/Caddy dealer and they are not only friendly, but know what theyre talking about. I have no problems paying extra because I choose to drive a "nicer" car, so long as I don't feel the dealer is bending me over or deceiving me every time I visit.

On that note, time to go to Volvo on a rainy Saturday where I should be sleeping in.