Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

T-Belt urgent issue with dealer in morning

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Belt urgent issue with dealer in morning

I should start by saying my dealers service has always been very good and fair, so I expect things will go well with them but I would like input on whether I am wrong. I discussed having the dealer do the t-belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley and aux belt. I asked them to double check the water pump and let me know if it or anything else in their looks bad. I also asked if we should do the thermostat while the t-belt was off.

They said fine, but they normally do not replace the idler pulley, I said do it and they agreed & gave me a price for what I requested. I went to pick it up and they replaced the tensioner pulley, t-belt, aux belt and thermostat housing. There was no indication they replaced the idler pulley or the thermostat itself. The price was a little over what they said as the thermostat housing was expensive. They were very nice, gave me a loaner and said they would get it right.

I assume they also replaced the thermosat & gasket, if not should I complain? I am complaining about the idler, if they say it was fine should I complain? Do they fail? Did I or the dealer overlook something, dampining element etc they should be replaced if they go back in?

Thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 AM

For your own peace of mind, you should get what you asked for. Have them replaced as they do fail.
So the next time you drive down the highway, you won't be questioning yourself about the reliability of your idler....

Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The thermostat comes with the housing. On some of them that is the only way you can get the thermostat.

I would make sure the pulley was replaced. The pulleys always go out before the belt does.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 PM

They replaced the tensioner pulley, belts (T and aux), idler pulley, thermostat housing, thermostat and gasket. They said the water pump and dampining element were fine. They specifically said if the dampining element were to fail it would not destroy the t-belt.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Sounds like they got the main parts replaced.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Default they only replaced one tensioner pulley!!!

As I look over the parts list on the bill, it only shows one tension pulley part number 8658225. Per VADIS there is another one, part number 9180687. It is the one closer to the damping element. My car is a 2002 T6. Should I take it back and say do it again (this would be the second time pulling the new belt off if that is necessary to replace the tension pulley). The work order is very specific replace tensioners (plural) so they will most likely do it for the parts charge. My guess is the part is about $90, I am fine with that. I have two concerns, can opening this up and messing around again damage something, including the belts. On the other hand, if this tension pulley fails the engine is toast. I am assuming you should replace both tension pulleys to be safe. I appreciate the input.

Last thought, VADIS shows another pulley just after the tensioners as you work counterclockwise. The part number not shown but there is a link to the "coolant pump thermostat 5 CYL w/w turbo." What is this? Above that the there is a large pulley linked to "Cylinder Head 6CYL Turbo." Are these alternative information on two different engines? Does the 2002 T6 really have 7 pulleys/tensioners and a damping element?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator

It should have 6 pulleys total.
2 Cam pulleys
Tensioer
Idler
Water pump
Crank
If they did not replace it I would make them do it.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM

They replaced one tension pulley and one idler pulley. I notice in VADIS there are two tension pulleys in the diagram. Your list suggests only one tension pulley. If there is another tension pulley that does not normally get replaced, I will probably just live with it.

Thanks

Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Administrator

There is only 2 pulleys that get replaced unless you do the water pump then it will be 3.