Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Timing belt dealer recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt dealer recomendation

I have a 2002 T6 with 97k and I am going to have a dealer or Indy Volvo shop repalce the timing belt. I have prices from two dealers both with good service reputations and one that has always been a little expensive but does a good job. One dealer sells and services multiple car brands (Hondas, Jags, BMWs Volvos etc). I asked both service agents what they do as the recomended service.

One changes the timing belt, idler and tensioner for $675. They inspect the water pump and recomend that you leave it alone if there is no sign of a leak, they inspect the serpentine belt and leave it alone depending on the condition and when it was last replaced. I pushed on the water pump and they said it usually is not a problem for at least 150k and if it is not leaking by now it may go 200k miles - - don't mess with it.

The second dealer does the timing belt, tensioner, serpentine belt and an oil change for $689. I pushed on the water pump and thermostat and was told they only replace them if there is signs of a problem and unlike the Hondas and other cars they also sell and service, these water pumps do not usually fail. They only do the idler if inspection shows a problem.

The parts department indicated the water pump and thermostat kit are about $212. I think the idler is about $70 on Groton. I am thinking if the belt must be removed to do the thermostat I do that as it is a $20 part and the idler ( are there two?) and the serpentine, but not the water pump.

I will call the dealership I normally deal with and speak to the service manager, but would appreciate comments.