Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

transmission or ABS computer problem?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Default transmission or ABS computer problem?

Dear all,

I have a strange intermitent problem. Sometimes at low speeds around 30 especially when going downhill but also when going uphill rarelly on level road and also apears when taking a big tern sudenly my transmission fails to shift to the next gear. The RPM goes up to 4500 without the engine pushing the car it feels like the car is in N for a second or two and the while I press the gass the RPM goes up but the car looses its power and then I hear a noise and the next gear is on. At speads abovove 50 absolutly no problem at all. If I see a heel and calculate that I will need more power and I gradually press more the gass I am able to avoid the problem but if I keep my foot on the gass staedy then the problem apears. Also occusiolly the ABS service comes on especially after going through a small bump also the emmissions service signal comes on but after a few switches off the engine they both disapear.

I wonder if the problem is with my ABS computer or my transmission or both or something else. S80 99 170 000 miles

thank you for your help.

george

Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Mine does the exact same thing and will do it in reverse as well.. Its more obvious when i turn left for some odd reason.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Is the ABS light always on?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:03 AM

The ABS light is not on. However in does occusionally come up with ABS and STC service required which disapears on its own after a few days.
I took it to a local mechanic (every time I take it to volvo they tell me they can not find anything and that I might need a new transmission but they dont know if it is going to fail tomorow or after 5 years and if this is going to sove the problem) through the scan my local mechanic found left front wheel sensor faulty signal and signal missing. He also found P1057 [0,8,10,57] but he does not know what the P1057 code refers to and is not sure if the sensor problem is causing the cars problems.
I am thinking of changing the sensor but I would apreaciate your thoughts.
Many thanks

george

Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 PM

Mine has no lights or an indication that there is a problem.. It seems as maybe it is a bad transmission..? Seems unlikely with only 90k but who knows..

Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator

The ABS modules are also very common to go bad. They also throw a L/F wheel sensor code.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by slostjoe View Post
Mine has no lights or an indication that there is a problem.. It seems as maybe it is a bad transmission..? Seems unlikely with only 90k but who knows..
I don't know where you are located, but in the US I'm pretty sure the tranny's are GM... which sucks but ohwell.

My ABS didn't work at all so i had a guy rebuild the ABS module. As for the sensor I would change it and go from there, I would recommend to finding one somewhere for a good price because that may not be the whole problem.

As for the tranny I had whole buch of crap happen to my transmission. Which led to it breaking I would fix the problem promptly. Iv'e heard of rebuilding transmission modules, and have heard of transmission software upgrades.

Hope some of this will help.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by slostjoe View Post
Haha I forgot to note that GM transmissions suck IMO(in my opinion).

Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by igees80t6 View Post
Haha I forgot to note that GM transmissions suck IMO(in my opinion).
Thats my 2cents as well.. Could a broken trans mount cause these issues?