Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Tune Ups

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Ups

Okay I thought I would bring my thoughts to the site and get opinions on stuff.

I have a 1999 2.9 S80 green

Mods I want to do/ See if possible:

Lowering Springs - Possible lower and enhance turning
Tint - It looks cool, question though, Would the defroster bars on the back window cause problems?
Wheels - Need new rims, I have the pizza pan ones.
Seats - Found some but I don't know the offical name of the Tan leather I have.
Turbo - Come on please someone help me with this one!
Air Intake - Looks good under the hood, and boosts performance...I think.
Exuast System - Nice sound Im not Exuast smart so direct links would be helpful or a good trailhead.
Muffler Tip - See above. Is it needed?
Engine Dress Up - Make the engine look good for when I pop the hood. Shiny parts, colorful stuff...
New Pedals - Nice aluminum pedals look good, better than plastic...
Gauges - Must if I get a turbo. Looks cool, and any idea where to put them?
Intake cooler - keeps it cool and looks cool.
Strut Bar - Yeah...
Neon- Anyone done it yet on a Volvo?

More to come...

Old 07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Tune Ups

ORIGINAL: the515

Okay I thought I would bring my thoughts to the site and get opinions on stuff.

I have a 1999 2.9 S80 green

Mods I want to do/ See if possible:

Lowering Springs - Possible lower and enhance turning
Tint - It looks cool, question though, Would the defroster bars on the back window cause problems?
Wheels - Need new rims, I have the pizza pan ones.
Seats - Found some but I don't know the offical name of the Tan leather I have.
Turbo - Come on please someone help me with this one!
Air Intake - Looks good under the hood, and boosts performance...I think.
Exuast System - Nice sound Im not Exuast smart so direct links would be helpful or a good trailhead.
Muffler Tip - See above. Is it needed?
Engine Dress Up - Make the engine look good for when I pop the hood. Shiny parts, colorful stuff...
New Pedals - Nice aluminum pedals look good, better than plastic...
Gauges - Must if I get a turbo. Looks cool, and any idea where to put them?
Intake cooler - keeps it cool and looks cool.
Strut Bar - Yeah...
Neon- Anyone done it yet on a Volvo?

More to come...
1. Yes it is possible to lower your ride and it will enhance the handling as well.

2. No the defroster bars will not cause any problems. Please have your tint professionally done. It will cost anywhere from $150-$250 usually.

3. New rims what are you looking for? Bigger, lighter, OEM, Aftermarket?

4. As far as a turbo goes you got to be kidding me right? You have the 2.9L s80. Which means your not turboed your NA (Naturally Aspirated). It would cost you thousands of dollars to piece together a complete kit. That means there are no kits available out there for you. You would have to piece together all the parts needed. Not to mention the tuning would take dyno time and loads of money as well.

5. There are no real intakes for the NA Volvo's. You could make one yourself and if you do please create a heatshield for the cone filter. Or just get a K&N panel filter and be done with it. Viva Performance sells the BMC CDA intake system for the non turboed s80 model but it is $349.95 and is OUT OF STOCK.

6. You can do a catback system. I suggest having a local muffler shop make you a catback system. 2.5" piping is the biggest size I would go and you want a muffler with baffles in it since your NA. You want backpressure. You do not want a free flowing straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow. You want a muffler like a Flowmaster.

7. A muffler tip looks nice and in some places is reguired. So get one most mufflers come with them.

8. Engine dress up you can paint some items and you can polish some of the Aluminum parts in the engine bay.

9. As far as pedals go you can buy them from here, http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S80-in

10. As far as gauges go your NA you don't need them. Like I said above it will cost thousands of dollars to turn your NA to a turbo. It is cheaper to sell your NA and buy a turbo model. If you want to spend the money and time to turbo your car I will give you information about gauges. And or if you sell your NA and buy a turbo I will tell you about gauges.

11. Intake cooler? What do you mean?

12. QBM sells a strut bar conversion kit. No one makes a s80 strut bar per say. http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S80/Susp...p-76-582-2163/
http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_p2strut.html

13. Neon lights have been done on a Volvo. IMO it looks RICEY, CHEAP and just utter CRAP. Don't do it for the love of god.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:26 PM

1. Yes it is possible to lower your ride and it will enhance the handling as well.

2. No the defroster bars will not cause any problems. Please have your tint professionally done. It will cost anywhere from $150-$250 usually.

3. New rims what are you looking for? Bigger, lighter, OEM, Aftermarket?

4. As far as a turbo goes you got to be kidding me right? You have the 2.9L s80. Which means your not turboed your NA (Naturally Aspirated). It would cost you thousands of dollars to piece together a complete kit. That means there are no kits available out there for you. You would have to piece together all the parts needed. Not to mention the tuning would take dyno time and loads of money as well.

5. There are no real intakes for the NA Volvo's. You could make one yourself and if you do please create a heatshield for the cone filter. Or just get a K&N panel filter and be done with it. Viva Performance sells the BMC CDA intake system for the non turboed s80 model but it is $349.95 and is OUT OF STOCK.

6. You can do a catback system. I suggest having a local muffler shop make you a catback system. 2.5" piping is the biggest size I would go and you want a muffler with baffles in it since your NA. You want backpressure. You do not want a free flowing straight through design muffler like a Magnaflow. You want a muffler like a Flowmaster.

7. A muffler tip looks nice and in some places is reguired. So get one most mufflers come with them.

8. Engine dress up you can paint some items and you can polish some of the Aluminum parts in the engine bay.

9. As far as pedals go you can buy them from here, http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S80-in

10. As far as gauges go your NA you don't need them. Like I said above it will cost thousands of dollars to turn your NA to a turbo. It is cheaper to sell your NA and buy a turbo model. If you want to spend the money and time to turbo your car I will give you information about gauges. And or if you sell your NA and buy a turbo I will tell you about gauges.

11. Intake cooler? What do you mean?

12. QBM sells a strut bar conversion kit. No one makes a s80 strut bar per say. http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S80/Susp...p-76-582-2163/
http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com/prod_p2strut.html

13. Neon lights have been done on a Volvo. IMO it looks RICEY, CHEAP and just utter CRAP. Don't do it for the love of god.
1. Aren't they called HK coilovers? or HB Springs? I forgot what the exact name of them are.
2. There is a place in town I know of that does it really well and has a lifetime guarentee
3. Some nice Voxx or something nice. Like the picture below.
4. How much is thousands? like 10g< The option of selling and buying new cars is out of the picture. Takes to much to find one off an old car and slap her in? Pardon my bluntness.
5. Still don't get this one. They dont make them yet they sell them and they are out of stock? Make one?
6. Okay thats understandable. Flowmaster not Magna. how much does that usually coast?
7. the thing is my muffler doesn't stick out its not even in normal view, you have to look under the left side of the bumper to see it.
8. Alright. I take it there is a special paint to use for the heat? Like it would be nice to paint the dull silver a nice shiny silver.
9. Pedals rodger wilco.
10. There arent any gauges I can just have for looks?
11. I ment Intercoolers go right behind the grills.
12. So as far as that goes. Buy these screw on things and put onto those?
13. Any idea on the seats?
14. http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S80-in

that link is sick. Would the door pins be hard? Entrance trim? Aluminum Dash rings?

Thanks so much S70driver.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/9754DB3C54BD49ABB424E6E8A24E674E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM

1. Aren't they called HK coilovers? or HB Springs? I forgot what the exact name of them are.

Answer: KW Coilovers. Which can be bought from IPD USA, EST (EuroSportTuning), Viva Performance. H&R springs and there are a few other companies that make some for the s80 models.

2. There is a place in town I know of that does it really well and has a lifetime guarentee.

Answer: Use them then. That is great.

3. Some nice Voxx or something nice. Like the picture below.

Answer: VOXX rims can be bought from Discount Tire Direct as well as IPD USA. TireRack is also a great site for rims.

4. How much is thousands? like 10g< The option of selling and buying new cars is out of the picture. Takes to much to find one off an old car and slap her in? Pardon my bluntness.

Answer: Well your going to spend at least $5k+ to turbo your car. That doesn't really include install fees dyno tuning. To turbo your car you would need to locate a turbo, downpipe or downpipes, Intercooler piping, turbo hoses, vaccum lines, intercooler, catback system, etc... It really isn't worth it trust me. Now if you had an older Volvo like a 240 or something then yeah it would be a lot easier, but for you it is going to be a royal pain. Anyone with a newer Volvo it will be a royal pain.

5. Still don't get this one. They dont make them yet they sell them and they are out of stock? Make one?

Answer: There is only one company that makes an intake for the s80. BMC CDA. Viva Performance sells this intake system however currently they are out of stock and it says so right on their website. Other then that your out of luck for an intake unless you build a custom one yourself.

6. Okay thats understandable. Flowmaster not Magna. how much does that usually cost?

Answer: I don't know usual costs of mufflers. But you can research it by going to Google and typing in Flowmaster mufflers.

7. the thing is my muffler doesn't stick out its not even in normal view, you have to look under the left side of the bumper to see it.

Answer: Ok so get an exhaust tip. Most mufflers come with them already.

8. Alright. I take it there is a special paint to use for the heat? Like it would be nice to paint the dull silver a nice shiny silver.

Answer: High temp engine paint 500* or higher.

9. Pedals rodger wilco.

10. There arent any gauges I can just have for looks?

Answer: There are gauge you can buy yes. But why bother? I mean it would be pointless really. And as far as a mounting solution goes good luck. Nothing available for the s80 models. Maybe a steering column mount and trying to mount it in the vent areas of the car.

11. I ment Intercoolers go right behind the grills.

Answer: An intercooler is only for turbocharged models only.

12. So as far as that goes. Buy these screw on things and put onto those?

Answer: Buy the QBM strut bar conversion kit and your set.

13. Any idea on the seats?

Answer: OEM or racing seats?

14. http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S80-in

that link is sick. Would the door pins be hard? Entrance trim? Aluminum Dash rings?

Answer: Yes the door pins wont be hard, the entrance trim shouldn't be hard. The dash rings would be hard. You have to take the dash apart and take the gauge cluster out to put the rings in.

Thanks so much S70driver.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

As far as the intake goes either wait for them to get it...or make it. How would one go about making one?

for the exhaust tips it would look kind of cheesy if it just hangs under the bumper? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdBqFEAhK3A Want it to look/ sound like this. Maybe not as loud, still want to keep some kind of respect from the older folks.

Take it the paint can be bought most places, just cover up the other areas with rags and just spray er down in the engine bay?

Well...was thinking race like seats... link: http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S80-in
They dont have my color of leather... says they can get seat heating too...thats a must for me, my girl loves the heater when winter roles around...

Also whats your opinon on HID? Hard? http://www.sharphid.com/ Great site, just dont know what in the hell to look for...

One more thing, it says the size of my tires are 14s.... is that right? Normal?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM

As far as the intake goes either wait for them to get it...or make it. How would one go about making one?

for the exhaust tips it would look kind of cheesy if it just hangs under the bumper? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdBqFEAhK3A Want it to look/ sound like this. Maybe not as loud, still want to keep some kind of respect from the older folks.

Answer: I'm pretty sure that is a members car here. He used a straight through design muffler. He found out the hard way he lost power. So go with one with baffles in it like a Flowmaster.

Take it the paint can be bought most places, just cover up the other areas with rags and just spray er down in the engine bay?

Answer: It depends on what you want to paint. I would take parts out that can be taken out to paint them. Then you don't have a chance of accidently screwing up something in the engine bay you didn't want painted. Also any local auto parts shop should carry 500*-1500* engine paint. If not Wal-Mart should sell it.

Well...was thinking race like seats... link: http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/Mercha...Code=VL-S80-in
They dont have my color of leather... says they can get seat heating too...thats a must for me, my girl loves the heater when winter roles around...

Answer: EST is a great place to deal with and sells great products. I would def order form them. Plus the seats look great too.

Also whats your opinon on HID? Hard? http://www.sharphid.com/ Great site, just dont know what in the hell to look for...

Answer: HID's are easy to install. Takes about 15-30 minutes per side to do. Also SharpHID is the place to buy from. They just lowered their prices to an incredible prices. I bought from them a few months back and wouldn't go back to Halogens for anything.

One more thing, it says the size of my tires are 14s.... is that right? Normal?

Answer: Who says the size of your tire is 14's? Take a look at your tires. You will see a number like.. Here is an example..
235/45-18. The 18 refers to the rim size of 18 inches. Or take this example 195/65-15. 15 refers to the rim size of 15 inches. When you look come back and tell me what it says and I will let you know.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I found that video on these forums. Flowmaster I assume would make the same sound?

About the seats... color? Whats your idea on that?

HID's again I have no clue what to order there. Broswed this site but still am lost.

Wheel size : says its 215/ 55-16

These pics: My exhaust. My lights that i want to HID upgrade also need to get fogs... What I want to shine in my engine bay.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/EEE0807135B64C6FB76ECECFFC48C28F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/A7229F44358E4B08B7421C0A97649A95.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/57CA656112544E93891C654C6424341A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah, I found that video on these forums. Flowmaster I assume would make the same sound?

Answer: It will make a similar sound. If not a deeper tone.

About the seats... color? Whats your idea on that?

Answer: Either do a complete interior swap to an all black interior so it will somewhat match the black racing seats. Or see if the seats be be covered in another color leather. Call EST to find out.

HID's again I have no clue what to order there. Broswed this site but still am lost.

Answer: Well for starters you are running an H7 Low Beam type bulb. So when you go to purchase your HID kit from SharpHID you select the kit you want and then select the bulb type with is H7 and then you select your bulb temperature. I suggest 4500K-6000K. These will produce the most light output. The higher you go in the Kelvin (K) range the less light output you get. 4500K-5000K produce the most LUMENS or light output. 6000K and above all your really getting is a color difference. It will become bluer the higher you go and eventually get into Purple.

Wheel size : says its 215/ 55-16

Answer: Looks like your running 16 inch rims. I would suggest going to 17 and or 18 inch rims.

These pics: My exhaust. My lights that i want to HID upgrade also need to get fogs... What I want to shine in my engine bay.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/EEE0807135B64C6FB76ECECFFC48C28F.jpg[/IMG]

Answer: Yeah that is your stock exhaust system. You have a tailpipe it just curves down. And that is how the one on the new muffler will go because there is nowhere else for it to go. The exhaust shop you have your catback system done at will know what to do or should I say should know what to do to make the tailpipe of the new muffler work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/A7229F44358E4B08B7421C0A97649A95.jpg[/IMG]

Answer: That is your intake manifold. If you want to make that shine like Chrome you will have to take it off the car and sand it and polish it. It will take many many many hours to do so. And if you don't mind downtime then you should be fine. I would bet that would take you about 10+ hours to do possible 20+ hours to do. You could have some place do it for you. Again you would have down time where you can't drive the car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10689/57CA656112544E93891C654C6424341A.jpg[/IMG]

Answer: Again like I said above... "Well for starters you are running an H7 Low Beam type bulb. So when you go to purchase your HID kit from SharpHID you select the kit you want and then select the bulb type with is H7 and then you select your bulb temperature. I suggest 4500K-6000K. These will produce the most light output. The higher you go in the Kelvin (K) range the less light output you get. 4500K-5000K produce the most LUMENS or light output. 6000K and above all your really getting is a color difference. It will become bluer the higher you go and eventually get into Purple."

You don't have fog lights do you? So what you will need to do is pick up some from the dealership and or a online Volvo parts site. Don't go aftermarket go with OEM. They will fit and look right.
And why you see me answering this earlier then I said I was is because I got done half of my work thus far so I was able to answer these questions. If you have more before 10pm I may be able to answer them before I have to do more work.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Damn...how much would you estimate a interior swap to be?

Ok for HID I want H7 bulb type and 6000K for temperature. Should I look at the slim ones or regular? Whats involved in installation. Should I just look at the post you posted here: https://volvoforums.com/m_47660/tm.htm

Going 17 or 18 damn... that means new tires doesn't it? I just bought new tires when I bought the car less than a year ago. They are nice Michelins... expensive...

So the muffler and catback are simple because the exhaust shop is good at that stuff. How much a catback cost 250-300 + muffler?

What would your opinion be on spray painting intake manifold a silver color? Anything else in there you suggest to make the engine bay look pretty?

As far as fog lights go I assume you mean these: http://www.autopartsauthority.com/specials/vol~fog~lightparts.html
What if I want to have the fog lights HID?

Whats your thoughts on debadging a car? Should I take off everything except the s80? Keep the Volvo?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:49 AM

Damn...how much would you estimate a interior swap to be?

Answer: I dunno a good $500+. Check junk yards and places like that.

Ok for HID I want H7 bulb type and 6000K for temperature. Should I look at the slim ones or regular? Whats involved in installation. Should I just look at the post you posted here: https://volvoforums.com/m_47660/tm.htm

Answer: Yes you want the H7 bulb type. I would go with 5000K personally over the 6000K. Slim or Regular it is your preference. I have the regular and love them to death. Installation requires some hole cutting and putting some wires in places. Really simple to do.

Going 17 or 18 damn... that means new tires doesn't it? I just bought new tires when I bought the car less than a year ago. They are nice Michelins... expensive...

Answer: Yes if your going to go with 17 or 18 inch rims that does mean new tires. I suggest this. Use the 17 and or 18 inch rims and tires in the Spring, Summer, Fall and use the OEM 16 inchers for the Winter. It is a pretty simple solution.

So the muffler and catback are simple because the exhaust shop is good at that stuff. How much a catback cost 250-300 + muffler?

Answer: You should pick a reputable shop not a crappy one. And they should stand behind their work. If not they aren't worth going to. I would expect $325-$500. Depending on what size pipe you go with and what muffler you pick. I had a 1995 850 NA before my 1999 s70 awd. I put a 2.5" catback system on my NA with a performance muffler. It cost me about $325.00 installed. The local muffler shop made it for me.

What would your opinion be on spray painting intake manifold a silver color? Anything else in there you suggest to make the engine bay look pretty?

Answer: It is a good idea. But I would personally have it professionally done and have it powdercoated with high temp powdercoating. It will look great, trust me. You coukd paint it yourself with High Temp engine paint At least 1000* to be safe. But it will take a lot of work. Cleaning and sanding and painting and clear coating with high temp engine clear coat.

As far as fog lights go I assume you mean these: http://www.autopartsauthority.com/specials/vol~fog~lightparts.html
What if I want to have the fog lights HID?

Answer: Yes those foglights should work fine. If you want to go with HID foglights then what you do is you purcahse a kit from the same compnay (SharpHID.com) and you purcahse a kit with H1 type bulb. And you want a 3000K color temp. DO NOT go over 3000K for foglights. They will be too damn bright and you will blind everyone. That is in combination with your HID headlights.

Whats your thoughts on debadging a car? Should I take off everything except the s80? Keep the Volvo?

Answer: I debadged my entire car. Nothing says it is a Volvo. That is what I like.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Hmm the interior swap sounds expensive I might just see if I could get the seats redone?

Ok HID understood.

Great idea for the tires. A whole set of tires and new rims cost about a grand?

You recommend a 2.5" cat back?

Maybe I should just clean and polish the engine bay.

Wouldn't that look a little cheesy having different colors?

Hmm is there a way to take of the front bar on the grill? I still don't know if I should debadge.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 AM

Hmm the interior swap sounds expensive I might just see if I could get the seats redone?

Answer: Yes

Ok HID understood.

Great idea for the tires. A whole set of tires and new rims cost about a grand?

Answer: Yeah around that.

You recommend a 2.5" cat back?

Answer: 2.25"-2.5"

Maybe I should just clean and polish the engine bay.

Answer: Again if you don't mind down time then do it. It will take at least 10+ hours to do.

Wouldn't that look a little cheesy having different colors?

Answer: NO. Again I repeat myself. Do not go over 3000K for the fog lights.

Hmm is there a way to take of the front bar on the grill? I still don't know if I should debadge.

Answer: Yes but don't do it. Behind it is an indentation. So it will look funny. And to answer your next question of "does someone make an aftermarket grille for the s80 models?". The answer is NO, no one does. You will either have to find an OEM eggcrate grille from another s80 model that will fit and or paint your stock grille. Simple process of painting the grille and you should use a product called Plastidip.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM

Thank you so much S70Driver. I will look into all this and post more comments/ questions as they come.

Im not as dumb as i sound i read the forums and knew you can't paint your grill. Heh. To paint it just pop it out and paint it using plastidip gotcha.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Thank you so much S70Driver. I will look into all this and post more comments/ questions as they come.

Answer: No problem.

Im not as dumb as i sound i read the forums and knew you can't paint your grill. Heh. To paint it just pop it out and paint it using plastidip gotcha.

Answer: Yes just take the grille out and mask off the areas you don't want to paint like the Chrome surround and the slash. Then paint the grille slats whatever color you want. Black would look really nice.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM

Hey S70 driver,

wondering why we WANT backpressure for exhaust? wouldn't we want LESS backpressure to increase power? thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 11-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Thanks S70, that was a good article.

Since a 1999 Volvo S80 is fuel injected, would it work like the BMW in the article (see below): because there is more oxygen from LOW backpressure, ECU injects more gasoline to compensate, which should equal more power?

Modern BMWs don't have to worry about the effects described above, because the DME (car's computer) that controls the engine will detect that the engine is burning leaner than before, and will adjust fuel injection to compensate. So, in effect, reducing backpressure really does two good things: The engine can use work otherwise spent pushing exhaust gas out the tailpipe to propel the car forward, and the engine breathes better. Of course, the DME's ability to adjust fuel injection is limited by the physical parameters of the injection system (such as injector maximum flow rate and fuel system pressure), but with exhaust backpressure reduction, these limits won't be reached.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Got Boost?

In theory yes. I am still reading up on these "myths". I stumbled on to this articale and was reading a few others, and it looks likea non-stock engine will not likethat much back pressure, kinda like a turbo, but that dose the same thing. It all depends on whatyour lookingto get out of a car. I think these articales areintended to be used for racing or offroad use, since they can be as loud and "short" as they want. For the street I would go with a high flow cat,stock resinator and a striaght pipr out the back. We did that on my dad's BMW 540i and it lets the engine breath a lot better but still provides a descent sound level while driving, and sincehis engine is basicly stock with little mods, it is nice to have a littleback pressure. The wholepurpose of the exhuast system is to let the gases escape from the exhaust valves as quickly as possible, but still provide a quiet ride from the factory. Also...you don't want the cops on your azz every time you take offfrom a light.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Banned

The way I understand back pressure is it doesn't generate more torque, it shifts the peak torque into the lower RPMs, where you actually need it 99% of the time. If you're drag racing then the more horsepower the better and it doesn't matter if you have to rev the engine out to 6000 rpms to get it. For daily driving I'd rather have less power that comes on strong at 2000 rpm and peaks at ~3000. And that's exactly what the stock exhaust system on my S80 gives me. The power band is curved perfectly for me just the way it is.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Got Boost?

ORIGINAL: Crito

The way I understand back pressure is it doesn't generate more torque, it shifts the peak torque into the lower RPMs, where you actually need it 99% of the time. If you're drag racing then the more horsepower the better and it doesn't matter if you have to rev the engine out to 6000 rpms to get it. For daily driving I'd rather have less power that comes on strong at 2000 rpm and peaks at ~3000. And that's exactly what the stock exhaust system on my S80 gives me. The power band is curved perfectly for me just the way it is.
+1

That is my thinking also.