Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Volvo S80 2.9 timing belt problems

Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Question Volvo S80 2.9 timing belt problems

Hey guys, I'm new on the forum though I've been reading ever since I got my Volvo a few months ago, I finally need some words of wisdom.

So the story goes, my timing belt idler pulley has been making noise for a while now and it was getting really bad so I finally decide to take it in to get it changed along with the belt. Not something I can do myself because I don`t have the tools, space or expertise for it.

So after ordering the part from Volvo I took the kit to a local shop that offered me a fair price for the labor. After getting the car back I noticed that it was a lot slower than usual (kinda like towing a huge trailer) and it was sending a check engine light code (P0011 intake cam advanced timing). Obviously a mechanics fault so I took it back to them and they claimed that when they did the job, they couldn`t find the timing marks and they just hoped that nothing moved and swapped the belts. They agreed to redo it and this time they called some former Volvo mechanic for advice (cause the volvo dealership couldn't release the information apparently). After having them redo it this morning, I got the car back and the problem still remains. They said they have no idea whats wrong with it and they will see what they can do if I bring it to them on Monday.

I have a feeling they are missing some crucial piece of information or they're not doing the procedure right. Maybe they're missing a step in adjusting the timing? Either way I have a hunch that it has something to do with the CVVT module, if I understand correctly there is a special procedure regarding the variable valve timing and a special tool as well.

Can anyone explain this to me and tell me what they're doing wrong? What do I tell the mechanics so that they fix it properly once and for all?

I'm definitely not bringing my car back to them after this, if they didn't know how to do it they shouldn't have taken the car apart in the first place.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM

i don't know how to help you but i was wondering at what mileage did this happen i just bought an s80 and it has 61k not sure if i need to do this or not.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 AM

I did end up fixing the problem, they just had no idea what they were doing, its like they'd never seen a volvo before.

About your question, it was 130,000 KM after the timing belt had been last changed and the manual says to change it every 150,000 KM. I would definitely recommend doing it before that just for the peace of mind because I almost cost myself an engine, the pulley was just destroyed.

Name:  IMG00058-20101007-0857.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  26.7 KB

On the left is what the pulley (bearing) should look like, on the right is what happened to it. The ***** actually fell out and thats all that was left.

Name:  IMG00059-20101007-0858.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  30.9 KB

It was making noise a for a thousand km or two before this, I just never knew what it was and I replaced the idler accessory belt pulley first. Just a heads up to fix any strange noises you hear from your car cause it could be worse than you think.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Holy crap man... that could have been really bad.