Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Volvo S80 T6 1999 throttle failing intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S80 T6 1999 throttle failing intermittently

Hi Volvo users,
I have been experience this problems for some months now and I have tried everything I can ever think of. Any suggestion will be immensely appreciated. I drive a Volvo S80 T6 1999 model. For some months now, when I drive, the accelerator pedal fails intermittently. This happens so much randomly that it has been difficult to channel where there problem is. It happens at times on idling, at times when driving, not necessarily up hill, on low speed or high speed. I scanned the car and it brought out some codes
958F, 959F, 9540, 644A, 510F, 4020, 982A, 1200 amongst other code.

At first, a mechanic told me that from experience, the culpit is commonly the throttle body. It was cleaned and after no changes, replaced. No change again. I changed the MAF Air flowmeter, no change. Another electrical engineer told me to change the Accelerator pedal, I changed for like 3 or 4 different pedals until I concluded that it wasn't the pedal. I have also replaced the fuel pump, no changes. The car starts well, drives well, when working properly, it doesn't struggle to go uphill. It drives fine when not failing. However, I can be driving now and just suddenly feel no power anymore on the accelerator pedal. However, once in a while, when I tap the brake and press the accelerator, it drives on and again fails later. But on thing is very sure, when it fails, and I open the boot to disconnect the battery for like 10 seconds or more and reconnect, it picks, and at least I use it to drive it away from the spot to avoid causing holdups. Everytime I disconnect and reconnect, it works only to later fail again. Some people have suggested that I should change the complete ECM and Immobilizer, but I want to be sure it is the problems before committing myself again on spending. Av attached the scanned codes. Please any suggestion will be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent accelerator failure due to dirty brake pedal position sensor located on f

Originally Posted by Oyebanjo Temitope Ben
Hi Volvo users,
I have been experience this problems for some months now and I have tried everything I can ever think of. Any suggestion will be immensely appreciated. I drive a Volvo S80 T6 1999 model. For some months now, when I drive, the accelerator pedal fails intermittently. This happens so much randomly that it has been difficult to channel where there problem is. It happens at times on idling, at times when driving, not necessarily up hill, on low speed or high speed. I scanned the car and it brought out some codes
958F, 959F, 9540, 644A, 510F, 4020, 982A, 1200 amongst other code.

At first, a mechanic told me that from experience, the culpit is commonly the throttle body. It was cleaned and after no changes, replaced. No change again. I changed the MAF Air flowmeter, no change. Another electrical engineer told me to change the Accelerator pedal, I changed for like 3 or 4 different pedals until I concluded that it wasn't the pedal. I have also replaced the fuel pump, no changes. The car starts well, drives well, when working properly, it doesn't struggle to go uphill. It drives fine when not failing. However, I can be driving now and just suddenly feel no power anymore on the accelerator pedal. However, once in a while, when I tap the brake and press the accelerator, it drives on and again fails later. But on thing is very sure, when it fails, and I open the boot to disconnect the battery for like 10 seconds or more and reconnect, it picks, and at least I use it to drive it away from the spot to avoid causing holdups. Everytime I disconnect and reconnect, it works only to later fail again. Some people have suggested that I should change the complete ECM and Immobilizer, but I want to be sure it is the problems before committing myself again on spending. Av attached the scanned codes. Please any suggestion will be appreciated.

hi if you're still having issues with this as I was, I discovered that the brake pedal position sensor is the culprit! And you can actually open the sensor up and clean the components, as I did, and I have no more random loss of the accelerator. Hope this helps.