Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Window Frame Trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Frame Trim

There is a black film of some sort that has been applied around the four side window frames on my S80. When I bought the car, the dealer told me it was a 3M product. That film, whatever it is, is now starting to wrinkle and warp and doesn't look that great anymore. It looks easy to apply/replace if I could figure out what that film is and where I can get it. Any one out there know what I am talking about and have any suggestions? Many thanks.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 PM

It is a factory applied decal. Not sure how hard it is to redo but you can buy it here. Let us know if you change it how hard it was. I know many people ask about it.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM

I am master certified in collision repair, the high price of these decals, and if someone is not familar with how to apply them, can turn into a major regret, my advice is this, take a hair dryer and move the dryer back and forth close to the decal, dont hold it long in one area, keep pulling the decal off the frame, then find a paint friendly adhesive remover, 3m has one that I use, after the decal is gone, and the adhesive removed, mask off the frame area you want to color, use a light scuff pad to scuff the area, preclean and use a black satin spray can to color the area, light coats are best applyed while useing the hair dryer to speed up the paint cureing time, take your time and I think you will be pleased with the results, also you can buy a good bottle of wine with with the money you saved by not getting hosed by buying the decals. best regards, beefheart

Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 AM

Thanks for link for the decals, but what is on there now is not the stock decals. One of the original decals was in bad shape when I got the car and I watched one of the lot prep guys apply this unknown 3M material that looked great about 3 years ago but has weathered badly in the last 12 months...looks a lot like UV damage.

I may give the paint option a try. Sounds time consuming, but I am thinking the results may last a little longer and may look better than the original decal.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM

Took me forever to find this thread. I have the exact same problem. I had the decals replaced once under the 50k warranty. 15k miles later, they look worse than when I had them replaced.

Beefheart - Any specific paint recommended for the pain option? I am leaning that direction as a do it myself option. I am a former coatings contractor and have good paint skills. It seems the weather strip removal and the masking will be the hardest part.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:50 PM

ask the paint/parts place for a spray can of 'black satin trim", I have used wurth brand with great results, just take your time and dont get in a hurry, try to do the job in a shop or garage, use lots of paper and masking tape, I think you will be happy with the results, good luck, beefheart

Old 07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Default I'm going to dp the paint option as well I need new trim at bace of side windows

I'm going to use a high temp paint as it gets in the triple didgets here. Stove Brite web site has a great color selection. Any one know a resonably priced sorce for the cracked rubber strips at the base of the side windows? I have a 2000 s80