Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

XM Tuner Install

Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Default XM Tuner Install

I just recently acquired an 2001 S80 T6...so far loving it. I'm aware of the pitfalls of the computer management/interface porblem potential as I had to have a dealer software D/L when I had a new rearview mirror installed (it took out/did not recognize the vehicle's alarm system)..anyway that's fixed.

To the issue at hand...over the last 5 years I've been an XM radio subscriber and cannot stand listening to FM with its ads and multipath problems in the area which I live. HOWEVER, I do NOT intend to replace the existing audio system orhead unit. I "just" want to install an outboard XM unit using an FM demodulator. ...still nervous...do NOT want any more software problems. Can any fellow owner provide input who has installed an XM module...which unit? Detailed install hints/warnings.

Thank you VERY much.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Default RE: XM Tuner Install

If doing it that way you will have no problems. You are not modifying any of the stock parts, just adding an XM box and pickinf it up through the FM radio.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM

+1^^^ Even if you want it wired directly all that you do is add an adaptor, no mods to the original system. (Unplug the regular FM antenna from the back of the radio, plug that and the XM antenna into the adaptor which then plugs into the FM antenna slot. Then if you go to your programmed FM station it switches which antenna it receives from.)

Old 01-17-2008, 07:37 PM

we have a 99 S80 T6 and purchased an audiovox XM unit and it installs in its cradle and is then attached to a seperate metal bracket that the installation techs have, this bracket is then attached on the inner wall of the climate control module.. the module is removed and bracket and radio antenna are hooked up with the modulator in this pocket, and the climate control unit placed back in place, the external XM radio is then tilted toward the drivers view and is operated with our remote.. you then tune to a specific frequency you set on the XM and then your FM radio same frequency and you then have XM radio..

Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I ended up installing the Audiovox tuner with the switchbox demodulator ("FM Direct").....had it mounted on its base over the 1st cup holder behind the shifter cover (never would use the cup holder ..(I've got a "thing" about liquids in a car).

Extremely pleased with the ergonometrics and the audio quality. Oh! Also ugraded to the HU-801 head unit with its external amp. I love it! ...mini-home theater sound stage.