Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

parking brake temporarily unavailable

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake temporarily unavailable

2018 S90 T6 Did my own rear brake job, used Youtube for some tips. was told to use a 3/8 wrench to turn the electric brake pin in clockwise till it stopped. put the motor back on. brakes work, parking brake works and releases. I am getting a warning in the dashboard "Parking brake temporarily unavailable " RED circle around ((P)) in the center and the word in orange BRAKE to the right.

parking brake works and releases if I move forward or back using the shifter. and also if I hold the brakes and push the button down. my auto brake will not light up the green light ((A)).

the videos on Youtube seem to say you could do this without the tool to retract the motors.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks Steve K

Old 05-31-2023, 03:36 PM
Default what I found out about "Parking brake temporality unavailable "

I did my brakes on my 2018 S90 T6 Momentum the manual way that people posted on Youtube. by taking the electric motors off and turning the pin on the caliper clock wise till it stopped. put it all back together and all worked, Parking brake worked and released both by driving and using the switch. But, the ((A)) Auto brake would not work and the switch would not light up the little green light.

I search and watched all the different videos and forums post and no one seemed to bother reporting how or
what they did to fix this warning on the dash. " PARKING BRAKE TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE"

I'm here to tell you I went to a local mechanic with a $10,000 machine and he recalibrate my rear brakes and everything is fine. Cost $80 now I did some reading on scanners that do electric parking brakes for Volvos that are about $135/$150. hand held models that some seemed to be using in the Youtube videos. I own two Volvos 2018 S90 T6 and my wife has 2020 XC40 T5. I might look into a scanner. I was told pads alone replaced at a dealer is about $300 My cost were $80 for genuine Volvo pads and $80 for the scan I still saved $140.

Are parts company recommendations allowed on the form? sorry if they are not " Volvocarsoempartsdirect.com " They are easy to work with and saved me over $300 on front rotors and pads on my S90 over my dealers price and that's with shipping cost! and $80 for just the pads on the rear of the S90 genuine Volvo OEM Parts.

Hope People find this answer to my dash warning. Correct me if I'm wrong, my mechanic said you can't do it without a scanner to clear that dash warning.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

I keep quite a few bookmarks for various boards, blogs, web stores etc. When shopping for parts I tend to start with a dealer web store (quite a few out there, but I usually go with Tasca Parts since they are close by and I get next day shipping for cheap). I use the dealer sites to find the genuine Volvo part number, view parts diagrams and look for serial number breaks to ensure fit. From there, I consider whether the part is something I'd trust to after market (low cost), OEM supplier (ie buying under the manufacturer's brand who supplies Volvo) or something I'd only trust for Genuine Volvo. If I am going OEM, I tend to shop Volvo friendly stores (FCP Euro, IPD USA etc), if I am ok with cheap aftermarket then I may be off to Amazon or eBay or even Autozone etc. Fair to say, I've been a customer of FCP going back to when they were known as FCP Groton :-) but again they are about 25 miles from here... As to getting a scanner, Costs can vary from $30 for a simple Autel from Harbor Freight (good for CEL emissions codes) to $1000+ for a pro quality tool (overkill for DIYers). Given you own a pair of Volvos that are long term keepers, I'd probably budget up to $250 or so to buy a top shelf tool that can support a full set of codes (emissions, chassis/SRS, ABS etc ) including those that interpret proprietary Volvo codes. This would include things like supporting the e-brake reset, being able to see/reset SRS and ABS codes, being able to monitor sensors like transmission temperature in real time (useful if you want to do a drain fill on a 6 speed Aisin where the process requires setting the fill level at 55C). Even if you don't do the work, having a scanner is great to help determine the urgency of a fault code.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:46 PM
Default thanks mt6127

Thank you for the reply, will consider your advice. Tasca is that in Massachusetts as in Tasca Ford? I will look it up. Thanks again. after three BMW's then two VW GTI's I really like these Volvos so far.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:52 PM

TASCA looks good, will check with them when I need parts

Thanks Steve

Old 06-01-2023, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

Same parent company as Tasca Ford - I think their Volvo dealership is in Rhode Island. But the Volvo dealership doesn't have a funny car driven by the boss :-)