Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

Wire and cable corrosion issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire and cable corrosion issues

Hello, i was top overhauling my 97 S90 and being busy it took me a year to do it and i noticed some of wires were corroded (green color inside as well). Ignition coil wires (inside as well), sensor plugs, battery cable, etc. Im in the middle of making new cables from batt to starter and ground to chassis/block (alternator and fuse box cables seems ok). At the moment it cant start. Is it possible corroded wire for ignition coil is giving lower voltage and cause unable to start? I need help plz. I tested it and it does spark but not sure its good or weak.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:50 AM

Many newer cars are very sensitive to wiring resistance as well, which may be affected by the corrosion. At any rate, if your ignition wires are corroded, I'd replace them just as a matter of course. Since you're wondering if the corrosion is a culprit, there's a visual test you can do. Turn the lights out in your garage first. Then have someone crank the engine while you hold a plug to ground. If you're seeing a bright blue spark, then your plugs are getting enough current. If it's faint, or yellow colored, they aren't.

Something I found out just yesterday when reading through past threads at the other forum, one member mentioned that, when one of these cars develops ignition problems, it shuts down the fuel relays, so the car won't be getting any fuel as well. So what you can do is check your fuels supply. Undo the fuel line where it comes into the engine compartment and switch on the key. When you switch on the key, the fuel pump runs momentarily to build up pressure, so you should see some evidence -- like a spurt of fuel. Cranking the engine should produce even more. This is probably not the wisest way to test things, but it works and, if you have a fire extinguisher handy, it need not be hazardous.

At any rate, by checking your fuel supply -- if you have fuel delivery, then you know your ignition system isn't so bad off to shut down the fuel relays. So it's probably something relatively minor having to do with your ignition system, if this is the case.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cooltouch
Many newer cars are very sensitive to wiring resistance as well, which may be affected by the corrosion. At any rate, if your ignition wires are corroded, I'd replace them just as a matter of course. Since you're wondering if the corrosion is a culprit, there's a visual test you can do. Turn the lights out in your garage first. Then have someone crank the engine while you hold a plug to ground. If you're seeing a bright blue spark, then your plugs are getting enough current. If it's faint, or yellow colored, they aren't.

Something I found out just yesterday when reading through past threads at the other forum, one member mentioned that, when one of these cars develops ignition problems, it shuts down the fuel relays, so the car won't be getting any fuel as well. So what you can do is check your fuels supply. Undo the fuel line where it comes into the engine compartment and switch on the key. When you switch on the key, the fuel pump runs momentarily to build up pressure, so you should see some evidence -- like a spurt of fuel. Cranking the engine should produce even more. This is probably not the wisest way to test things, but it works and, if you have a fire extinguisher handy, it need not be hazardous.

At any rate, by checking your fuel supply -- if you have fuel delivery, then you know your ignition system isn't so bad off to shut down the fuel relays. So it's probably something relatively minor having to do with your ignition system, if this is the case.
Thanks! I made it into 2gauge cables but havent installed it yet as i dont want to pull out intake manifold again ifever it doesnt start up. I will trace wires of ignition and change them as well to clear possible errors.