Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

High Miles ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Miles ok?

Hi people. I am considering buying a high miles V40. Yes I know that high miles is never good, but I'm moving back to the UK soon and will need a car. I don't want something that will fall apart and need huge repairs, but I have a very limited budget. Of course, that means I want to have my cake and eat it

Anyway, to the point, there are quite a few high miles (120-150k) 99/2000 2.0LSE examples knocking about for around £1500. Obviously I would give them a good looking over for any obvious problems, but the question is, how do these cars deal with high miles (mainly motorway miles I guess)? It seems some cars will go over 200k with no real problems as long as they are serviced well, but others are lucky if they make it to 100k before they fall apart. Would I be wasting my time, or getting in to serious problems by considering a 150k V40, or should it be ok as long as I check for obvious problems?

Also if anyone could tell me what things should be looked at with these cars, what normal troublespots are with the V40 etc, that would be great. I have not been able to look at any yet, as I said I am out of the country now and I won't be back until the end if Jan, but I thought I should do my research now as I will want to find something asap when I get back.

How are they to work on? Are things like the cam belt a pain to do? I have not yet found anything I couldn't manage with the right tools and a haynes manual (except getting the disc's off of a Calibra which were siezed solid), but the newer cars get, the harder the manufacturers seem to try and make these things. On the Calibra they had such a stupid design that you actually had to remove one of the engline mounts to change the drive belt!

Thanks,

Justin.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Default RE: High Miles ok?

Justin,
If you are coming back to the UK and still interested in a Volvo, come and join the Volvo Owners Club www.volvo.club.org.uk

A high mileage S40 is a very different beast to the high mileage earlier models (all of which see more than 150k with ease in the main). I don't know what the highest mileage we have on the Owner Register is (I'll ask). If you want FWD and only have gbp1500 then fair enough but you can get a good RWD (940/960) for that price and it will be easier to work on (but I am biased) and spares more easily obtained - but, it isn't a modern car. Better go for a big cc V40, more capable and hold their value.

Have a look here for some views
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboa...id=2552&page=4

Be aware that All S40 and V40 series cars that are Model Year 2003/4 are being recalled. This only affects the petrol engine versions, as there is a *possible* fuel leak issue. There was earlier incident of the failure of the drain valve on the end of the fuel rail resulting in atomised fuel being sprayed around the engine compartment under high pressure.

Give us a s hout when you are back in the UK.
Tony

Old 12-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

As long as they are maintained very well you will be able to get atleast 300,000 miles out of it.

Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 PM

Thanks, I took a look at the forum, it seems that as long as it's looked after well, and I check for the obvious like oil burning and dodgy clutch/gearbox then I shouldn't get stung too badly.

I know I'm asking a lot, trying to get a nice looking and trouble free car for £1500, but that is even pushing my limits at the moment. I have been living abroard for the last 18 months trying to push my own business. It has not really worked out great, which is fine as it was my first try and the things I have learnt are priceless. However it means that I now return to the UK with at least £1k on the credit card, I need to find a job and then a place to live (can't stay with my parents for too long, lol). Now I know should find a job, then look at getting a car, I would have a better budget then, but in reality not having a car will cut me down to only looking at work in Central London or locally, so I think its best to find a car first (thats my excuse anyway).

As for the 940/60, Im 24, so don't want too much of an old mans car (sorry, but you know what I mean), and I have an interest in outdoor sports (paragliding etc) so the V40 not only looks nice, but it pretty pratical. Insurance does not seem too bad (elephant quoted £500 and Im sure I can find a little cheaper than that). The 2.0L seems a good choice, I have heard bad reports on the smaller and diesel engines. The Turbo's sound nice, but way out of my budget (purchase and insurance) and the forums all seem full of people having trouble with Turbo models anyway. Plus chances of getting a high miles turbo at the lower price range which has not been thrashed seem low.

Thanks for the info, I will definatly join the owners club if I manage to find a V40 in my price range.

I had better stop looking at autotrader for now, it's torture seeing a nice car come up within the price bracket and not being able to go and get it

Justin.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:45 AM

I just bought a 2002 V40 with 45,000 Kms. I pick it up on Friday...I'm a little nervous reading some of the negative posts regarding the V40. Should I be concerned?

Old 01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

You should be fine.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:51 PM

Do you think we should extend the warranty? $25.00 a month extra.

It's a 2002, and the warranty ends May 2007.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Administrator

You could just to be safe.This way if the transmission ever goes out it should only cost your deductable to have it replaced.Instead of like 3,000 to have it replaced.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Any problems with the transmission in the V40s?

Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Every once and a while.In the five years I was with Volvo I have seen 3 or 4 of them replaced for problems.