Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Nearside (passenger) Dipped Headlight Failure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nearside (passenger) Dipped Headlight Failure.

I have recently replaced the front, nearside, dipped headlight bulb. When I removed the broken bulb (element failure), the ignition was on, and, upon removing the wiring connector from teh bulb, it sparked against the bulb retaining clip (clearly power was passing through to the bulb). When I replaced the bulb, however, it doesn't work. I replaced the new bulb, fearing that there might be a problem with it, but the newer replacement bulb doesn't work, either, and the connector no longer sparks against the bulb retaining clip.

Does each headlight have its own dedicated fuse or relay that may have blown when the connector sparked against the retaining clip? Because the driver's side dipped headlight works perfectly.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve.
I've had a similar problem with headlamps on my v40 w reg. Firstly each headlamp has a separate 10a fuse. One for each side AND one for dip and main beam. Pop the bonnet and on the rhs (faceon) set back from the battery is the main fuse cover. Un-clip the cover and flip it over to reveal the fuse layout. Its possible one of them has blown.
If your fuse layout is missing from inside the lid let me know and I'll send you a picture of said. If its not the fuse then its going to be a component on the main lighting control panel situated behind the drivers side foot well. Its a bit of a faff to get the cover off but when you do you'll see a grey rectangular unit with a load of connector. Unless your used to working at pcb level, and can see an obvious dry joint or a blown component then its going to be a new unit.
Even the switching relays are pcb mounted and a real pain.

Hope the above help

Regards

Andy