Volvo V40 A super safe wagon, this attainable Volvo offers something for everyone.

Where's the Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's the Throttle?

I just bought a used volvo 2000 v40 turbo!
It's the first time I've ever purchased a car myself
AND
the first time I'm buying a volvo....so yea, I could use some help!

It's not in the best shape, but it runs (yay).
After some googling, I suspect it needs a throttle cleaning b/c it makes sounds at idle/park...I'm assuming it's what's called a "rough idle". Take a look at this video of my engine, you can hear the sound clearly:

Right now, though, idk where the throttle body is.
Can someone point it out to me and/or link me to someplace that'll explain where/how to find it?
I'd also appreciate if you could point out what things to remove just to clean the throttle without taking it out.

Here's my engine right now:
2014-11-28-1217

Also, there's something like an aluminum tray behind my engine...what is that?

Attached Thumbnails Where's the Throttle?-2014-11-28-1217.jpg  
Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have a 2000 V40 that I bought for my kids to drive a couple of years ago. I have whipped it into shape so will do my best to help you.

The metal tray is a heat shield that protects the firewall from heat from the turbo.

I can't tell much from your video but I'm not sure why you think the throttle body is the place to start.

Mileage on car?
Do you have a CEL? Any codes?
What do you know about the timing belt? Has it been changed, if so when?

Old 11-29-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by migbro
I also have a 2000 V40 that I bought for my kids to drive a couple of years ago. I have whipped it into shape so will do my best to help you.

The metal tray is a heat shield that protects the firewall from heat from the turbo.

I can't tell much from your video but I'm not sure why you think the throttle body is the place to start.

Mileage on car?
Do you have a CEL? Any codes?
What do you know about the timing belt? Has it been changed, if so when?
Thanks for looking in!

Well I was looking for answers as to why the whole car would shake when I was on park or idling at a light, and it seemed to match the symptoms for a dirty throttle (high rpm, revving up when sitting in park)...so I figured I might as well clean it, no harm, right? Still trying to get together all the tools i need to set the throttle free

Milage: 181000
CEL codes (linked to OBD-codes.com):
  1. P0705 -- P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
  2. P0507 -- Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected
  3. P1618 -- ? Volvo-specific code, not sure what...
  4. P0300 -- Random Misfire
  5. P0507 Pd
  6. P1618 Pd
  7. P0300 Pd
  8. P0014 Pd -- "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

*edit: found out "PD" means pending DTC....why would a mature code also be pending?

What do you think the problem could be?
(and more importantly how much could it cost to fix it myself? lol)

Thanks for any feedback!

Attached Thumbnails Where's the Throttle?-2014-11-28-1229.jpg  

Last edited by wazgud; 11-29-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, you have some work to do.

P0705 and P1618. This is your PNP switch. I recently repaired mine. Made some comments on this repair here. Repair is tricky and I'd recommend you just replace the PNP switch with a new Volvo part.

P0507. I'd start by cleaning the throttle body. It's just to the left of the battery, under the black plastic cover and under the fuel pressure sensor. Follow the hard black plastic hose from the top of the intercooler and you will find it. If that doesn't fix the P0507, next clean or replace your IAC (idle air control). Also check the small 1" diameter (or so) rubber hose near the throttle body that connects to the top of the intercooler. It has been known to break causing various idle and running issues. If you find this hose broken replace it first as some of the other codes may be caused by this broken hose.

P0300. Replace the spark plugs with Volvo plugs or their direct equivalent (Denso K20PRU). Don't be tempted to install any kind of fancy plugs.

P0014. Probably your VVT solenoid (reset valve) which is on top of the engine under the cover on the passenger side. I think this is probably responsible for the rattle you're hearing at idle. It's possible to clean it though most people just replace it. Start using a high detergency engine oil like Pennzoil Platinum to help clean up your engine.

Last edited by migbro; 11-30-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by migbro
OK, you have some work to do.

P0705 and P1618. This is your PNP switch. I recently repaired mine. Made some comments on this repair here. Repair is tricky and I'd recommend you just replace the PNP switch with a new Volvo part.

P0507. I'd start by cleaning the throttle body. It's just to the left of the battery, under the black plastic cover and under the fuel pressure sensor. Follow the hard black plastic hose from the top of the intercooler and you will find it. If that doesn't fix the P0507, next clean or replace your IAC (idle air control). Also check the small 1" diameter (or so) rubber hose near the throttle body that connects to the top of the intercooler. It has been known to break causing various idle and running issues. If you find this hose broken replace it first as some of the other codes may be caused by this broken hose.

P0300. Replace the spark plugs with Volvo plugs or their direct equivalent (Denso K20PRU). Don't be tempted to install any kind of fancy plugs.

P0014. Probably your VVT solenoid (reset valve) which is on top of the engine under the cover on the passenger side. I think this is probably responsible for the rattle you're hearing at idle. It's possible to clean it though most people just replace it. Start using a high detergency engine oil like Pennzoil Platinum to help clean up your engine.
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out! I'm trying to get to each of these things little by little, but I'll post updates as I get going.

THanks so Much!