Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

08 rear fog light

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 rear fog light

So recently I bought a 2008 volvo v50 2.4i, it's a beautiful car finished in electric silver with the 5 spoke alloy wheels. While I was looking at the car all seemed good, everything worked great, but the right side rear fog light was out. shortly after bringing the car home I sought out a way to fix the problem. after a quick inspection of the light I realized it simply didn't have a bulb in it. I bought the correct bulb and installed it in the empty slot, but rather than fix the problem it made it worse, now the running light is also not working. I thought that was strange because both the bulbs still worked fine(tested them), and the blinker and reverse light still functioned properly, the whole left side also worked fine. I looked threw the whole fuse box and couldn't find anything that would link to this problem. I could just replace the light bulb holder but I don't know of that would resolve the issue, could there possibly be a problem with the wiring?? I dont know a whole lot about electrical stuff and figured maybe someone on here can help. Thanks😁 (I'll take some pictures of the problem soon)

Old 10-26-2019, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There isn't supposed to be a right rear fog light.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:40 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes, oddly enough there isn't a right side "rear fog" light (in the US version - the UK cars have a right only rear fog). Seems odd to me, but that's a "Europe thing".

My bet is that you just bumped the running light when you were pulling the light out - I'd troubleshoot it with the light holder out where you can get to it - that way you can find out if 12 volts is getting to the rear plug (then trace it to the bulb). Also, it's possible that the running light really wasn't working before - make sure it's got the right light bulb in it (some of the lights are dual-filament, some aren't - I don't recall offhand which are which).

Old 10-27-2019, 02:21 AM

Thank you guys so much, the running light was in fact blown, I replaced the bulb and it works now. as for the fog light I dont even think there is power going to the socket on that side so I'll leave it as it is. it triggers that little perfectionist in me but I'd rather not mess with it. thanks again, if anyone knows how to get the passenger side fog to work, lemme know.(I know it's not supposed to be there, just want it to be symmetrical)

Last edited by Jacob.hyde50; 10-27-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

It would be a bit of a pain, but basically you'd just run a wire from the left side rear fog light over to the right side socket. I did consider this when I was playing around with mine, but decided it just wasn't worth it (hey, I live in a desert - not a whole lot of fog, though we do have some epic dust storms occasionally). FWIW, it's possible that the fuse that supplies power to the rear fog light might not be rated for both, so replacing them with some bright LED bulbs might work out well (assuming that the combined total current draw looked like a single incandescent bulb to the diagnostic system, otherwise it'll throw that light bulb out error again, and you'd have to add a resistor to bring the current draw up to that of the removed incandescent bulb).

Old 10-29-2019, 01:06 AM

I think I'll leave it, I also live in the desert so idk, the thought of it is cool but its honestly not necessary, I dont even really use the fronts let alone the back. either way thank you, I appreciate it