Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Car won't move in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't move in gear

I have a 5 speed v50 that starts fine but when in gear car won't move. I can go through all the gears without clutch being engage as well. Can anyone help me out with what this could be causing this issue

Old 03-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

So your saying the car is acting like the clutch is always disengaged? Does the pedal feel normal or light? I suspect the V50 uses a hydraulic clutch which has a master cylinder (similar to the brakes) and a slave cylinder to actuate the throw-out arm. It typically will share the brake fluid reservoir but if that is low the clutch will usually act up before the brakes so first check the fluide level. Next, you will need to check whether the clutch pedal is moving the slave cylinder. If not open the bleed valve to check if the master is pushing fluid to the slave. If the slave is moving the lever, then the problem is internal and the transmission needs to be dropped to inspect both the clutch and the transmission (ie its possible the tranmission is at fault).

Old 03-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Can you go through the gears with the engine running? That would indicate that the clutch is "stuck open". That happened to me once (on a month-old Fiat, but what was I thinking when I bought that anyway???). Turns out that the clutch's slave cylinder piston had been blown out the end of the cylinder and jammed (holding the clutch open). In that case, the clutch pedal stayed on the floor, and fortunately I had taken my shoes off and was able to pull the pedal back up and engage fourth (top) gear - at least until I pressed the clutch pedal in getting off the dangerous, high-speed highway, when it blew the piston out of the cylinder all the way (again, jamming the clutch open).

But the takeaway for me here is that... dang, I still wish my V50 had a five speed!!! ;-)