Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Driveshaft replecament by aftermarket part

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft replecament by aftermarket part

I would like to replace the right side driveshaft with an aftermarket part: Era Benelux DA718822, and let on the other side the original Volvo shaft. Era Benelux tolds, this is a refurbished part, renewed by original Volvo parts. So I ordered it. The Era benelux has a thinner shaft, so it is not the same part as my old faulty driveshaft. But it seems to be a quality part. Driveshaft ends, intermediate bearing seems to be compatible with my car, so I hope I can mount it.

My main question is: Can I use on my car, different made driveshafts (from other manufacturer, different weight(the cause of thinner shaft)) together? Is this not a problem for car stability, or for differential?

The driveshaft on other side has been changed to original Volvo shaft in Volvo service, but it was so expensive , so I would like to save some many if possible.

My car Volvo V50, D2 diesel, made in 2011. 270 000 km.

Old 03-16-2020, 12:31 PM
Received 109 Likes on 105 Posts

Your car could care less if the axles are different (they are, anyway - the slight difference from the original to the replacement won't make a difference).

That said, a LOT of the aftermarket axles are really pretty much junk. I got one from rockauto (because it was the only one they listed as compatible with my '05 V50). Within a couple thousand miles (just starting out on a 7,000 mile road trip...) they started shaking. The ones I got were Chinese axles with smaller axle shafts - they actually looked pretty nice (especially for the chump change price), but really weren't built for the real world.

In the end, I did a lot of research, and figured out which original axles were spec'd for my car, and ordered some rebuilt Cardone axles, which WERE rebuilt Volvo axles. They're still in the car (with the new owner) and working great after quite a few miles (mostly road, but I think they'll probably last about as long as the originals). I don't recall exactly which Cardone axles fit, but posted something on it at the time (probably won't help you since your car is a 2011).

The following users liked this post:
tilde (03-16-2020)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by tilde
I would like to replace the right side driveshaft with an aftermarket part: Era Benelux DA718822, and let on the other side the original Volvo shaft. Era Benelux tolds, this is a refurbished part, renewed by original Volvo parts. So I ordered it. The Era benelux has a thinner shaft, so it is not the same part as my old faulty driveshaft. But it seems to be a quality part. Driveshaft ends, intermediate bearing seems to be compatible with my car, so I hope I can mount it.

My main question is: Can I use on my car, different made driveshafts (from other manufacturer, different weight(the cause of thinner shaft)) together? Is this not a problem for car stability, or for differential?

The driveshaft on other side has been changed to original Volvo shaft in Volvo service, but it was so expensive , so I would like to save some many if possible.

Not entirelu unrelated but by VIN parts suppliers from German and UK are giving me the wrong part for OEN 31259517. Why?

My original is front left driveshaft?
Volvo OEN 31259517
40mm transmission seal diameter
36/26 teeth
575-580mm length
27mm axle diameter both wheel & transmission sides

The aftermarket part hs a 53mm trans seal and a larger diameter spindle at transmission end (28.7mm rather than 27mm)

Old 01-26-2022, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by tilde

Hello
Can you please confirm that this was not the correct part for your vehicle with a bigger 53mm transmission seal and bigger splined axle diameter than the original part?