Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Gas saving additions ? Improving mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas saving additions ? Improving mileage?

I bought my 05 V50 T5 AWD and am loving it - I have been trying to find a miniature version of my car, and came across an Ebay item - some kind of magnetic gas saving device ? Could somebody shed some light on this, and see if it would be worthwhile? I certainly do not want to do anything that might have long-term effects on the vehicle.

If I drive at 60, I get 40 mpg, or 35 mpg at 70, which is plenty, but on the backroads, I'm getting 27-28, which could be a little better, so I'm exploring ideas. I'm not unhappy with the mileage at all - it's fantastic - but obviously it would be fun to save even more.

I just copied the link for your ease of looking: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-Magnet...#ht_3514wt_748

Last edited by santoury; 10-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These magnet devices have been around for quite a while. The theory is that they align the gas molecules resulting in better combustion. They don't hurt anything but your wallet but they don't do any good either.

Your fuel economy sounds really good for an AWD T5. The best things to do is keep it well tuned, tires inflated, wheels aligned, good synthetic oil, air filter clean and good driving habits. The later is most important and from your numbers, it sounds like you are there.

Stan

Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks! How about those "fancy" air filters on Ebay, I think K N filters? I know that people say they do NOT work for my Jeep, so I never tried one - but how about the Volvo?
I cannot imagine that magnets would help the economy, so thanks for clarifying the idea behind it - interesting, and a pretty decent scam, if you ask me.
Thanks again, Jude

Old 10-27-2011, 10:33 PM

I have a K&N panel filter in mine. Don't expect anything dramatic. I did feel a slight difference in acceleration compared to the poor aftermarket filter that had been in there but no change in economy.

Some folks have had problems with the oil depositing on the MAF sensor. This can happen if too much oil is applied to the filter. Some other folks claim that they let too much microscopic crud get through.

Your numbers seem quite high. Were they according to the trip computer or did you calculate between fill-ups? In my FWD auto T5, I get 27-30 mpg in a 70/30 mix of highway/stop & go.
Stan

Old 10-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi,
Sounds like I'm better off just enjoying what I have for now. Could you tell me more about the "MAF sensor" ? I'm not sure what that is. Sounds like a problem to avoid.
My numbers are according to the trip computer - I have not had the car enough to see how long a full tank goes - I've done two half-full tanks so far, and those are about 240 miles. (from half to empty.)
Thanks! Jude

Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 PM

The MAF sensor is a Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located on the output end of the air filter box on the right hands side of the engine (facing the engine) and is cylindrical with a wire harness plugged in to it. There is a very fine wire that is in the middle of the cylinder. A small voltage is applied across the wire. As air flows across the wire, it cools and changes resistance and thus current flow through the wire. The computer senses the current change as mass air flow.

If contaminants accumulate on the wire, it will change the characteristics and throw off the measurement. If this happens, there are cleaners for MAF sensors. CRC makes a good cleaner. The wire is very fragile. In the worst case, it would need to be replaced.
Stan

Last edited by AutoNaut; 10-28-2011 at 10:35 PM.