Wheels, Tires and other Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

HID upgrade on car with low beam DRL?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID upgrade on car with low beam DRL?

I drive a 2006 XC90 withOUT factory Xenon/HID. I want to add an aftermarket low beam HID kit (bulbs, ballasts,et). BUT the low beams are setup as DRL's from the factory.
Any way to get around this?
Any way to switch the DRL to high beam (BMW's use high beams at lower voltage as DRL), thus allowing me to add aftermarket HID in low beam position?

thanks

Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: HID upgrade on car with low beam DRL?

1. You can ask the dealership to turn your DRL's off. They may not do it, but you can ask.

2. I never heard of switching your DRL's to your high beams. And if you can I have never known of anyone with a Volvo doing it or knowing how to.

3. Get your HID kit from Sharphid.com John will take good care of you.

Also you can run HID's as DRL's no problem.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:19 AM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

1. You can ask the dealership to turn your DRL's off. They may not do it, but you can ask.

2. I never heard of switching your DRL's to your high beams. And if you can I have never known of anyone with a Volvo doing it or knowing how to.

3. Get your HID kit from Sharphid.com John will take good care of you.

Also you can run HID's as DRL's no problem.
Thanks for the reply.
btw, today I noticed two XC90 V8 AWDwith their inboard headlights (highbeam) functioning as DRLs (perhaps at lower voltage, ala BMW). There must be a simple re-wire from the DRL module to high beam instead of low beam.

1)I have no desire to disable DRL, but just want to be able to add HID to low beam position. You say "no problem", but I was wondering if any dash warning lights might glow if a)HID is used, and (b)if low beam as DRL utilizes a lower voltage (thus my assumption that the dash warning light might glow due to inadequate voltage draw)

bottom line,
1)I want to retain DRL (whether HID or not) or (high or low beam position-either is OK)
2)I want toadd aftermarketHID to low beam position

If I can just swap out the low beam halogen and replace with HID kit/ballast,etc, I'll just do that unless it triggers a dash warning light

thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM

On the XC90, as on the S60, it may depend on the trim level. IIRC, on non HID S60's the DRL is the low beam headlight. On S60's with HID lights, there is a seperate inside halogen DRL (hope that's making sense), soI would assume your model is similar.

Therefore, if you simply replaced your current low beam headlight (DRL) with HID, the HID would be on all the time as the DRL. A dealer can disable the DRL, and the headlight switch would work as normal. But you could keep the HID lowbeam as the DRL.

If the HID and Halogen assemblies are the same measurements, you might want to think about buying a pair of HID assemblies. Might get pricy though!!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:30 AM

Thanks. Yes you are making sense (at least to me).

I don't mind using the HID low beams as DRL. I am/was concerned that the HID's lower voltage draw, or decreased voltage supplied to low beam DRL's would trigger a dash warning light that the bulb is 'out'.
One suggestion was to modify a 'sump' on the computer board, but frankly that's out of my league.

Anyone with first hand experience (whether you got the HID to work or not/and how) would be appreciated.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:19 PM

From an S60 forum, but maybe it will help...

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t7222-holy-sh-it-works.htm

Old 01-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Did HID conversion on my 01 S80 and 02 V70. Kits installed easily, let me know if you guys want a step by step guide. You will get a bulb out warning, I dealt with it on my S80, and I have ordered some warning canceler harnesses for my V70. They haven't arrived yet, but will update you on the outcome. Don't bother doing HID on the highbeams, just upgrade them to Silverstars. HID's have to warm up for a few seconds to reach brightness so they are not ideal for highbeam. The only thing you have to do after the install is change the 15a fuse for the low beams to a 20a fuse. The 15a MAY blow at lamp startup. They pull about 14a at startup, and 11a constant.