Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Intermitant Shift Lock Failure - stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitant Shift Lock Failure - stuck in Park

Hey, I'm new to the forum and my 06 V50 automatic is having shift lock release problems, but different than what I see in other posts.

Intermittently (but frequent) the shift lock out doesn't release when car is started and pushing the brake. Happens in Park and when in Drive or Reverse.

I took the shift cover off and center console out and can see the release driven by the solenoid isn't activating. I took the solenoid out and bench tested it, but it works fine. Put a meter on the solenoid and it wasn't getting a signal, so I thought it must be the brake switch under the pedal and replaced it. But no change in the problem To drive the car now I'm just pulling back on the release tab to be able to get it in D or back into P or R.

So I'm baffled. Maybe has something to do with Ignition switch but I haven't had any starting/key issues. Also, sometimes the solenoid randomly activates/deactivates repeatedly while driving. Can hear it clicking away and with console out I can see it.

Anyone have similar experience or ideas?

thanks!

Old 08-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

On my Gen1 S40 I had issues with the button on the top of the shifter getting stuck. this can be freed up with some lube or in some cases the actual button switch breaks and doesn't properly active the release. Not sure if you car has the same design but thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

I doubt it's got anything to do with the ignition switch either, or you'd have plenty of other problems.

I guess I'd check to make sure that the brake lights are coming on, but I doubt that's the problem because of the intermittent activation of the solenoid.

In the end, I guess you need to check to see if you can work out where / when the signal to the solenoid is disappearing. Don't forget to look for the possibility of the ground side being the problem (lots of issues are caused by flaky ground connections). I guess I'd be tempted to use a couple alligator clip leads and a small 12 volt bulb so I would know when the solenoid IS engaged, and see if you can move / wiggle / bang anything to make it turn on under "normal" conditions (ignition in position II, brake switch engaged). If the light bulb doesn't come on, I'd start wiggling connections / the gear shift lever / etc. to see if anything would trigger the solenoid (light bulb). Might give you a clue where to look - or it could be a flaky control module - I wasn't successful in figuring out which one though...

Old 08-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the ideas, I was thinking along same line that it could be a bad gnd. Already had put jumpers on the solenoid to hook up a meter, but throwing a light on there would work better since its intermittant. You spured me to go look at the wiring diagram too, which confirms one side of the solenoid connection is gnd. Not sure when I can get back to debugging it but appreciate the help.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

You could confirm the "ground hypothesis" by leaving the bulb or meter hooked up across the contacts AT the solenoid... then when you hear it cycling on and off (and the bulb / meter reacting the same way), move the ground connection to a good ground and see if the bulb / meter follows the behavior of the solenoid. If it does, you know the hot lead is the one to chase. If the bulb / meter shows solid activation but the solenoid is still clicking, chase down that ground problem (or heck, just cut the solenoid's ground lead and ground it locally).