Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Mirror motor, locks that don't and more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror motor, locks that don't and more.

Heya. Just found the forum while looking for some information. I just got my 2005 v50 t5 AWD and love it. A few minor things bugging me (after having the dealer take a month to figure out and fix a problem with the power steering computer, anything but a fire may be minor... :P ).

The driver's side mirror doesn't go out far enough. The mirror body is swung out all the way, but the mirror won't go any farther than showing the door handle. I've tried pushing it while moving the stick in case it was a stripped drive rod or something, but no dice. Any way to fix that? Right now I have a blind spot mirror stuck on it but it's really horrible.

The driver's door lock doesn't always lock when I frob the button. Sometimes it pops down then bounces back up. I put a mark with a silver sharpie on the button to be able to see when it's locked correctly, after having stuff stolen out of it when I didn't realize it wasn't working. It will sometimes lock if I hit the lock button a bunch of times, but I often have to open the back door and push the button manually, then hit the lock button to turn the alarm on. It UNlocks fine.

The cloth is coming loose from the bottom of the sunroof cover (the sliding opaque one, not the glass). Is there a way to remove the cover to recover the cover?

Are there decent shop manuals around anywhere? For my old car, Toyota had 10$ for 24 hours to full access to their database, and I spent all night downloading PDFs of the shop manuals. Anything like that?

Where can you find rear wiper blades? NOBODY has them, and generic same-size ones don't wipe the whole window.

Thanks for help in getting my new beloved car up to top shape.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Default Some answers

Regarding the sunroof shade, here's a link to a how-to on another forum:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...=1#post1568857

check those accordion-like "modesty" panels that are attached to the sun roof. You can see them when it's raised in the vent position. They tear rather easily.

I got my rear wiper blade from rockauto.com.

This site also has them:
http://store.voluparts.com/volvo-v50-rear-wiper-blade/

They also carry lots of little parts like the door lock bushings.

Only shop manuals in print i know of is the Haynes manual. Volvo's VIDA DICE manual is available but it's a pain to load onto a PC.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=56799

Last edited by bv343; 05-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Great, that's some decent help. I appreciate the answer. Never had much luck with Haynes manuals; when I had my old VW Beetle I had one that had such clear directions as 'Find the voltage regulator and remove it'. No hint as to where it was, or how to remove it once you found it...

I appreciate the answer, those links look like they'll help.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:17 AM

Hey Star chaser, how did you get your Mirrors to move again. Mine don't reset anymore with the lock. The whole unit also moves in the wind.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan101b
Hey Star chaser, how did you get your Mirrors to move again. Mine don't reset anymore with the lock. The whole unit also moves in the wind.
Ryan uses Necromancy!
Heh. Sadly, I never did. The poor thing had been in a fairly severe accident that I hadn't been told about before I bought the car, and more and more started going wrong with it. I ended up having to replace the care before the frame collapsed. The body of the mirror moving in the wind sounds like the bolts that hold it are either broken or missing. Sorry I can't help...