Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

'Power system service urgent', ABS lights, power steering failure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Power system service urgent', ABS lights, power steering failure...

Hi everyone,

A few days ago my Volvo V50 1.6D 2009 was whining slightly at low speeds/acceleration. Since it just became below freezing here, I didn't pay it much attention as a few rattles seem to emerge in the cold.

Today, after the car was sat still for around 48 hours, I received the "Power System Service Urgent" warning and red triangles. I turned it off and the heating fans stayed on. Then it wouldn't start at all. About 15 minutes later, it did start without any problems. I took it for a quick spin around the driveway, and I received the "Anti-skid temporarily off" warning, the "Power System Service Urgent" warning again, then the power steering went completely, and the engine was whining. I hobbled the car back into the driveway.

Reading up about this issue, it seems that it originates from the alternator but could it be the drive belt/serpentine belt? According to this chat, it could be: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...message-39663/

I need to take the car to the garage tomorrow morning. The garage is about 5-10 minutes drive away...do you think it's safe to take it or should I arrange for it to be towed?

Thanks for your advice!

Old 12-08-2017, 05:50 PM

Hi, I had the very same happen to me, dash looked like a Xmas tree! I'm no expert but I've read there was a design fault with these cars. The computer part is located passenger footwell and the wires run underneath. People getting in and out can pull on thllese a bit. In the footwell under the glovebox there's 2 screws, info these and the cover will drop down. I unclipped and pushed back in the 2 bigger black plugs and it was all fine. Not saying this is your problem, but worked for me x

Old 12-14-2017, 03:30 AM

nta,

Hi, i believe my car may be suffering with the same issue, also a 2009 plate. I was driving to pick the wife up from work the other day when these lights came on, i lost traction control and steering and then brakes. When i managed to pull over in a safe place the engine totally shut down and all electrics no indicators nothing. After 10 - 15 minutes all worked again as if nothing happened.. it was fine yesterday when i have a look over the car and took it for a drive, however today the wife has taken the car to work and it has done the same thing to her.

Did you manage to get this fixed and look at if so what was the problem?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Default It's probably the battery.

I experienced the same message on my 2010 reg car as I was approaching my driveway. After parking up I tried the car again and no message appeared so I took it round the block and within half a mile the same message appeared. I left the car overnight and noticed that the front lights were flickering and when I tried to start it the next day it was completely dead and unresponsive. I've fitted a new battery and, so far so good, in that it starts first time and I'm about to take it out round the block again - fingers crossed!!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Oh Dear - got as far as the main road just before the Womens' World series cycle race came through and the car cut out and just died at the junction and I had to be pushed out of the way - back to the drawing board plus to add insult to injury the battery that I replaced is now showing charged after an overnight on the charger!!

Old 08-29-2023, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Daiscouse
Oh Dear - got as far as the main road just before the Womens' World series cycle race came through and the car cut out and just died at the junction and I had to be pushed out of the way - back to the drawing board plus to add insult to injury the battery that I replaced is now showing charged after an overnight on the charger!!
Was there ever a solution found? Our 2005 is doing this now.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:40 AM
Default V50 Cutting Out.

Originally Posted by okiekid93
Was there ever a solution found? Our 2005 is doing this now.
Having replaced the battery and everything was working fine I returned to the car the next day and set off and the same thing happened again! At that point I gave in and had a mechanic to check and he very quickly established that the alternator had failed - he replaced this and the car has been going strong ever since!!