Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Rear carpet is damp (both sides)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear carpet is damp (both sides)

Wow with my list I feel like I'm back to my Jaguar days.

Within the past month
I replaced combo turn signal.
I fixed the passenger automatic door lock issue
Now I have wet carpets in the rear

I would first guess the sunroof drain issue where the hose connects behind the A-pillar but the front mats are not wet.

Clog at the sun roof channel? No leaking through the sunroof onto headliner.

No water squirting out from the heat/AC vent under the seat.

For a long time I've suspected water was getting into the car. After the car was turned off the inside windshield would get damp on the inside. Hm...that's not good.

Today I finally found why and it is damp (not soaked) rear carpets.

This 2007 V50 has half the miles the 2002 S60 has on it but has had double the problems. I'm not into having to-do lists anymore on my cars.

Searching the internet I see too many of these comments about wet carpets "This is a very, very common problem in the V50/S40s". This should not be!

Last edited by urdrwho; 04-11-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear sunroof drainage tubes located in the 'C' pillars blocked?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

My money is on the front sunroof drains. The rear carpet is not as thick so it soaks through first.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:45 AM

Last night at 9:30 I went out and turned the car so it was facing down the driveway hill. Poured a little water on the right front drain. Saw it coming out under the car. The left side didn't seem to drain as much under the car but maybe the car was leaning away from that hole.

Tried to pull the trim off the A pillar and it didn't seem to come off as easy as some have said it would. May need my bones tools.

I go way back with using a bit of compressed air to blow out sunroof drain holes. But apparently Volvo has a connector behind the A pillar near the dash that can separate. Did my compressed air separate the connection? How would have thought they would have a connector?

Now if I can just pull off that trim.

I may be whining about the V50 but seriously it seems more of a brittle animal than the S60 that has @233,000 on it.

Originally Posted by ES6T
My money is on the front sunroof drains. The rear carpet is not as thick so it soaks through first.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

The trim just pulls off. The hose does sometimes shrink and disconnect from the elbow at the bottom. The elbow also clogs.

I usually sell new hoses and elbows and cut the lips off the new elbows. Haven't had one come back yet.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM

As you suggested I pulled the trim. The hardest part was putting the strap back into the keeper. I did the passengers side and everything was connected at the elbow.

I got my canister of air, put some water in the drain hole, placed a straw in the hole and applied air. Water flowed out the bottom.

I did the same on the drivers side and water flowed out the bottom.

So I am guessing that my drains are clear but time will tell.

I'm running with the rear floor mats out and that should help things dry out. It wasn't that damp to begin with.

Rear drains --- I can't even see where they would be????

Originally Posted by ES6T
The trim just pulls off. The hose does sometimes shrink and disconnect from the elbow at the bottom. The elbow also clogs.

I usually sell new hoses and elbows and cut the lips off the new elbows. Haven't had one come back yet.

Last edited by urdrwho; 04-13-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I bought a used Volvo V50 last August, and I absolutely LOVE the car. But everytime it rains, my passenger front floor board and both rear floor boards POUR water.

I have blown out the sunroof drains, to no improvement. I have replaced the gasket on the sunroof ($400 later), to no improvement. I am just getting SOOOO fed up with constantly seeing, hearing, and smelling the water in my car. I have wet-vacced it out but there always seems to be more. We are coming up on summer here, so the smell is only going to get worse. NO amount of essential oils, car fresheners, nothing can cover that up. Not to mention that on really warm days, my car feels like a sauna.

Could someone PLEASE help me with this?!

Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Are the drains comnected?