Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

01 Stereo Removal - HU-613

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 01 Stereo Removal - HU-613

OK, Here's a random thought.... What does the radio wire look like right before it plugs into the window? Would it be possible to use the Modulator back there? of course if the plug is different back there that idea doesn't really work....

Good luck w/ The tranny! I'm at 106K and i'm pretty sure it's never been opened .... I'm just going to leave it be.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! I am also going to replace the cabin air filter this weekend so when I have the housing cover off I'll peep around and see what I find.

Ironically, I was already looking around the antenna area once I found out what it was. It could work, but the pass-through with that adapter you found is the ideal solution for the best connection.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM

I'm on Pause right now. My mom is visiting fromDenmark and she is rocking the volvo for the week.

I look forward to your updates though if you have any coming.

I'll be picking this back up mid next week, gotta hit up home depot too since I'm starting "construction" on my roof rack cross bars.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you. I'm a little tired since I've been working on mine constantly for the past 3 or 4 weekends. I need a break[&o]

BUT, I'm still going to change the cabin filter on Saturday and will check to see if we can get to the wires. I have a feeling we'll have to use tech's instructions to get to the back of the radio, which doesn't sound all that bad.

I don't want to over-modify things either. There are three alternatives to replacing the factory radio:

1) Buy a decent FM modulator that is external and not hard-wired. I did find some that people say actually work well (post links this weekend)

2) Use an old-school cassette adapter, but it's been so long, I don't even know if it would sound half-way decent.

3) Buy 90 Min CD-Rs and just burn your own compelations of CD's using iTunes or Windows Media Player. The stock CD player rocks. I wouldn't mind 90 minutes of NiN or Ozzy straight through

Since the security system is integrated somehow into the radio, I don't know if you can just install a new aftermarket stereo without it screwing up the security system.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I don't want to over-modify things either. There are three alternatives to replacing the factory radio:

1) Buy a decent FM modulator that is external and not hard-wired. I did find some that people say actually work well (post links this weekend)

2) Use an old-school cassette adapter, but it's been so long, I don't even know if it would sound half-way decent.

3) Buy 90 Min CD-Rs and just burn your own compelations of CD's using iTunes or Windows Media Player. The stock CD player rocks. I wouldn't mind 90 minutes of NiN or Ozzy straight through

Since the security system is integrated somehow into the radio, I don't know if you can just install a new aftermarket stereo without it screwing up the security system.
How about option 4? Add a UsaSpec Ipod interface to the HU-613. In addition to it's main feature of the iPod interface, it also features an aux-in. I've got one in each of my Volvos - not to use with my iPod, but to interface my portable Sirius receiver into the factory headunit. Shop around and you can find them as low as $99. The PA11-HON works with 1994-2000 Volvos (with an extra cable), while the PA11-VOL works with 2001 - 2007s. Yes, you'll have to pull the factory headunit to hook it up, but it's a simple hookup and keeps the factory look. Ph yeah, since it's a direct connection, and not a modulator or cassette adaptor, the sound is great.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM

I actually looked at the USA spec adapter also. As strange as this sounds... I'd actually like to control things from the ipod itself. I have a snap-in cradle mounted immediately to the left of the radio and if I'm parked for a few minutes waiting for someone I can even watch a few minutes of a Family Guy episode hehe.

I have a tape adapter right now.... the sound qualityis... less than desirable.

I have a DICE interface in my BMW which basically does the same as the USA spec interface, except you view your own playlists instead of creating specific ones for the car. As cool as that feature is I'm looking forward to a straight up aux connection for this one.

I'm powering the ipod with one of these that i had from way back - works like a charm.
http://www.sik.com/imp.php

Old 10-31-2008, 10:15 AM

With the USA Spec interface, you can still control an ipod through itself (through the clickwheel). You don't have to set up Volvo Playlists or use the headunit controls to operate the ipod. You can, but you don't have to. You can operate the iPod just like you would normally - play your own playlists, etc. - if you don't mind doing it through the iPod and not through the headunit/steering wheel controls.

In my setup, I just dial the headunit to the "CD changer", which is really the USA Spec adapter, and control the iPod through the clickwheel.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Found something interesting ... http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories...turecode=en-GB